Should I home test more than once a week?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I recently went to home testing for INR and I like to convenience. I use the CoaguChek XS system. My insurance pays for testing once a week, but I'm kind of a numbers guy. I'd like to test more often... maybe twice or three times a week... or basically when ever i feel like it. Perhaps I could uncover patterns in my eating behavior and pin down what really effects my INR and what doesn't. In short, I like biofeedback devices of all times (heart rate monitors, ekgs... even a standard scale that measures my weight) and find the information they give endlessly fascinating. I record the data in charts and try to determine cause and effect events that result in abnormalities.

My questions are:
1) is this a good idea for mesuring pt-inr? I teach Statistics at the university, so I understand how to interrupt normal variation in reads. But furthermore, I find the test soothing. However, Ive also benifited from the collective wisdom of this forum... Id really just like to poll people.... what do you think? Is my plan a good idea? or should I stay with once a week?
2) there is a chip that goes with each batch of strips. I'd have to take the chip out with each change in strips that I use. will that "confuse" the machine or cause it to have problems.
3) Are the strips expensive? Where do I get them? do I have to have a prescription to by these strips privately if the insurance wont pay for them?... is it a good idea?

Thank you in advance for you responses.

Art Weiss

Latest posts

Back