radiation treatment while maintaining anti-coagulation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geojake

Anyone have experience with being on Coumadin and undergoing radiation treatment for cancer? Twenty year valve replacement patient wishing information..

I cannot speak to your question, geojake, but I want to express that I am sorry you are having to deal with this. I hope you get the feedback you need. Sending good thoughts your way.
Michele

Hey Jake
geojake;n858361 said:
Anyone have experience with being on Coumadin and undergoing radiation treatment for cancer? Twenty year valve replacement patient wishing information..

I can't directly answer you question, but I can share some related experience. My dad was not on AntiCoagulation drugs but used to bleed very easily with just a small scrape to his skin opening it up and it bleeding a fair bit. When he had radiation therapy for a bone cancer this aspect did not change or worsen. The only thing was that as they irraidated his mid section (it was in his hip and lower spine) he got massive vomiting and diarrhea issues for a few days after (as well as feeling like crap).

So I expect that coagulation won't be effected. HOWEVER the hospital should be aware of this and should advise you. Do you test INR frequently? If you home test, I'd be checking every 3 or so days to keep an eye on it.

Best Wishes

Latest posts

Back