Process of getting a home INR meter

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a4wanman

Andy, I saw a recent post where you are applying for a home-testing meter. My AVR was 1 1/2 weeks before yours.

I'm starting to check on getting a meter. It may be beneficial for others (and myself) if we post the information we find.

I've only checked websites so far, but most tout their service rather than selling just the meter. To start the service, you have be to on warfarin for at least 3 months.

* How are you applying before your 3 months?

* Are you looking to start the service or purchase the meter and strips on your own? If purchase, have you found a good price?

* Which meter are you trying to get? My doctor uses the Coaguchek XS, but based on this forum and the manufacturer's website, I think I prefer the INRatio2.

Will probably have more questions. I plan on calling my insurance and some of the authorized distributors of the INRatio2 and Coaguchek XS for more details.

Scott

Getting a Monitor

Getting a Monitor

There are lots of medical supply companies which sell INR (Protime) monitors. The basis for purchase is a doctor's prescription. Remember, the monitor is simply a piece of medical equipment. When you can begin doing the home monitoring thing is really a decision your cardiologist and you need to make. I didn't wait three months.

Sure there are monitoring services available, but many of us simply own our monitors and report our INR information to our cardiologists. Again, this is a discussion you should have with your cardiologist. What are you and your cardio doc comfortable with?

Cost of different monitors seems to vary widely among companies. I was originally quoted a cost of around $2400.00 for my INRatio monitor. This quote was reduced by half when the company I was dealing with realized I was paying for the unit myself rather than having my insurance company pay for it. Without editoralizing too much, I think this is evidence of the "cash cow" mentality that makes health care in the U.S. such an issue.

Navigating purchase through your insurance company can either be an adventure in frustration or really easy. My insurance company denied my initial purchase, but eventually reimbursed me (it took almost six months of constant battling before the company sent me a check). Others have reported relative ease in working with their insurance companies to purchase a monitor.

-Philip

FWIW:
It may not always be a cardiologist who signs the paperwork. Some people are overseen by family doctors, some by internists, others by hematologists.
The paperwork and Rx forms just need to be signed by whoever is overseeing your anticoagulation management.

If you need to check with insurance for coverage, the following billings codes are used:

G0248 for training
G0249 home monitoring service

E1399 meter purchase (durable medical equipment)
A9999 test strips / supply purchase

My insurance company told me that they do not cover the cost of the home monitor. I mentioned this to my cardiologist. First of all, they have the monitors that I will be using. My cardiologist smiled and said that "insurance companies don't like to pay, but we get them to." I am just 6wks post surgery. My cardiologist's office has a "coumadin clinic" that calls me, tells me when to go to the lab and how much coumadin to take. I'm assuming that they will tell me when I should start using the home monitor. I guess that I will trust that my insurance will pay just as they said!

My insurance company told me that they do not cover the cost of the home monitor. I mentioned this to my cardiologist. First of all, they have the monitors that I will be using. My cardiologist smiled and said that "insurance companies don't like to pay, but we get them to." I am just 6wks post surgery. My cardiologist's office has a "coumadin clinic" that calls me, tells me when to go to the lab and how much coumadin to take. I'm assuming that they will tell me when I should start using the home monitor. I guess that I will trust that my insurance will pay just as they said!

Many times, you have to build a case.
First of all, you have a mechanical valve.
Second of all, you will be taking warfarin for the (foreseeable) rest of your life.
Third, people who have home monitors are able to test more frequently and able to stay in range more consistently as a result. They have fewer incidents of clots and hemorrhages. There are a lot of articles supporting this.

Visit www.acforum.org.
Also google for articles by Jack Ansell, M.D. He's a big guru in the field of anticoagulation therapy management.

Home INR meter

Home INR meter

I originally got my home meter from a company called QAS 800-298-4515. They've changed names but that number is the same. When I call my protime in every week, and it's out of range, it auto-connects to my Dr's office. It is so much nicer testing at home than going to a lab for vein punctures. If you are on Medicare and have a mechanical valve, Medicare pays 100% for all the equipment.

Latest posts

Back