Pain?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granbonny

So, what do you guys take for pain?:p I have spent the last weeks..moving my son...........Down steps ..up steps, ect... I have a pain in my upper right thigh...:eek: :eek: :eek: I KNOW it is from climbing steps, ect.:eek: :eek: I take coumadin..Do yall use a pain cream?..... Hurts to even get up ..out of my computer chair.:p I really admire you people...who can run, ski, and all exercise without pain.:p Bonnie

Hi Bonnie,
I guess it's all just part of growing a little older.
Personally I won't take any meds for that kind of pain, but when my arthritis acts up I find a soaking in a hot bath plus sitting on a heating pad helps a lot.
I also find that sitting around too long with that pain just makes it worse, so I like to get back at it asap.
That seems to help the pain subside also.
And last there are times when I have to tell the kids that dad is just too old for that anymore.:rolleyes:

Joe has used that Icy Blue type stuff and so have I if things get sore.

You should stay away from anything that has Lidocaine in it.

Bonnie,

Being sporadically active but flabby :( , I end up with a lot of muscle aches that feel a lot like what you've described: it hurts to stand up from a chair, and it hurts to walk, especially up stairs.

I'm not taking coumadin (yet), but I tend to favor non-aspirin pain relievers (don't know why, they're just what we keep in the medicine cabinet): Tylenol (acetaminophen), Advil or Motrin (ibuprofen), Aleve (naproxen sodium). For me, Advil help most with "overused" muscle pain. Also, despite the pain in my muscles, I find it helps to get up out of my chair regularly, and walk up the steps when I have to, rather than avoid them; it seems to "work out" the soreness.

My wife has a standing prescription for Vioxx (rofecoxib) to relieve osteoarthritis, and instructions to AVOID taking other anti-inlamatory medicines, in particular, Advil. She says that overall the Vioxx has reduced her "overused" muscle pain by making it less painfull to start with, and reducing the recovery time.

Of course, regular exercise :eek: would help all of us avoid "overused" muscle pain to begin with. :D

As I've aged I have found that I need to allow for more recovery time after exercising. I can only run 3 times a week without my back and knees bothering me.
Swimming laps once or twice a week seems to help with the stiffness.
Since my surgery, I don't seem to get winded anymore while exercising (a good thing) - my limitations are now more due to my limbs and joints wearing out!

Mark

:)

I think Vioxx is a no-no for coumadin patients. I bought some Ben-Gay..Rubbed it on sore spots. Helps..:D Also, trying to walk a little more now that weather warmed up..:D :D Just takes time..like a cold..for things to feel good again.:D :D Bonnie

Gee, glad to hear I'm not the only one who has trouble getting up sometimes! But I take Actonel for osteoporosis which can cause some muscle and bone soreness. However, I find that ThermaCare works well and you keep them on all night--8 hours. Really seems to work--at least for a while. I am allergic to aspirin and the "buprophens", so that leaves me with Tylenol and heat. Oh well.....Susan:cool:

Bonnie,

I will bet you an RC Cola (I don't eat moon pies:D ) that your upper thigh pain is from the stair climbing.

I've done a lot of walking and yardwork since my surgery. After doing some 'climbing', my (deconditioned) thighs HURT for two weeks. Walking (forward) does NOT do much for conditioning thighs. Climbing stairs 2 at a time or walking *backwards* seems to exercise them much more effectively.

I suspect massage, heating pads, and hot baths may also help.

You WILL recover, but it may take longer than you would like. Sorry about that. :(

'AL'

Latest posts

Back