Overtraining... :-(

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

M&M

Hi, I saw my PCP last week - complaining of fatigue 'after' my workouts. Not every workout but probably once a week anyways. I would just be totally exhausted - to the point it was hard to just drive home and keep my eyes open. I've been getting having them for about the last two months - mostly. Although looking back over the year - I think I had it on and off several times. Just wipes you OUT..

Anyways, he said I was 'overtraining' - I said - but Doc - I'm slow !! really slow !!! he said it doesn't matter - buy a sports book at the bookstore and read the chapter on overtraining. So I did and sure enough I had like 9 out of 10 symptoms. So, I thought well he could be right. So the 'cure' is - REST, REST, REST - now mind you - I did 35 races last year with 6 half marathons and I was aching from top to bottom and I still ran - even with the pain for months. I'm not to bright. Most of the time I had alot of FUN.. and I just figured I'd take a couple weeks off come January (off season) and all would go back to normal. But, it didn't quite work that way. Two weeks is NOT enough rest - I soon discovered.

Well, the book says - once you've 'overtrained' you tend to do it again after you've recovered. So they recommend no more than two races a month after you've recovered. I feel really 'burned' out partially and yet I'm very much afraid I'm going to lose those muscles that I worked so hard to achieve in my legs.. The books says it can take anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks with NO exercising whatsoever to recover. I've gone almost two weeks !!!

I've been working out for almost 11 years - non-stop practically but I've really gotten intense the last couple years. Even though I sustained alot of injuries - I still plugged along. Increasing my mileage and speed. But the last couple months - no matter how hard I tried - I was slowing down. I figured it was the injuries.. I was coming down on myself for not doing 'better' and everytime I looked at the treadmill I got discusted with myself.

I don't know - I think I'm afraid once I get the new valve I won't be able to do the things I could 'before' - I think I may have tried to cram everything in as fast as I could. Because I'm so afraid I won't be able to exercise with any intensity after surgery. I wonder what 'new' meds they'll introduce and how that will effect my running. I have no alternative but to take the meds. Its just so hard - my system just doesn't tolerate meds well and they take forever to 'settle' in I always get the stupid side effects. My surgeon thinks in all probability I'll need a replacement. So I know I'll get coumadin. But until he gets in there - its not definite.

Has anyone ever found they couldn't do the same amount of exercise with the same intensity levels as they did before surgery? Were you able to get 'better' workouts after surgery? Although lately I was getting slower.

I plan on resuming my running even after my valve surgery. I swear they're not taking this away from me. I refuse to let my body get 'weak' and lazy - it was so hard to run when I first got my ICD and then after when I went on my anti-arrhythmic meds - but persistence paid off and I did finally get decent runs after awhile - I'm not quitting my running. NO WAY

I just wanted to 'vent' and thanks for listening.

I'm so glad to see others are running. It really helps me to see that if you guys do it - I'll insist they let me do it. Already my cardio doesn't want me competing and that's without a new valve !! He's a sweet guy and very smart - but I'm very stubborn and I don't want to give up my quality of life.

Goodness it feels really good to get this off my chest.

Best Wishes
Marilyn

Marilyn,

Sounds like you need some rest. The point is to move toward overall fitness and health. Running your body into the ground isn't the answer. Give yourself permission to take it easy.

I appreciate your post very much. I'm getting hooked on running and have wondered if I'm getting pushing too hard. Yes there is limit. I'm gonna watch for it.

Take care of yourself.

Yes, Tom please do.. I always prided myself on 'fitness' and for about 8 years I was 'fit' and never had any pain.. But racing got to me - when the gun went off - I got more competitive. If not with myself then those around me. Please watch for the symptoms.

I'm not giving it up - I just hope I can do it in 'moderation' when I return to it. I thought about taking up biking. You know what my second thought was - maybe I'll do a duathalon.. No, I've been swimming - maybe I'll do a triathalon.

Its not FUN anymore. Maybe in several weeks I'll get the right attitude. A bunch of friends are doing a race this weekend - some half marathons - some full - I really want to be with them. But I can't. If I go and watch I'll want to run it and within the first mile - I'll be sick to my stomach. I really think I want to cram as much in as I can. I made outrageous goals last year. I was so happy when I achieved them and so relieved I didn't have to push myself. I think I just burnt out. I guess after 11 years - it happens.

I really thought running races would keep me 'motivated' - and now this.

Watch for the symptoms.

Don't kid yourself. MODERATION - IS THE KEY..

My doc kept saying that to me. But I was having so much FUN - I kept wondering what exactly is 'moderation' and its different for everyone and for some its 1 one mile for others its 10 miles. I don't know when it changed - it just happened one day and I didn't see it and I kept going.

Thanks for listening. Listen to your body...

Best Wishes
Marilyn

cross training

cross training

Hi Marilyn -

Triathlon may not be a bad way to go. I used to ONLY ride my bike. I turned into a mileage junkie - I got more and more endurance, but after a while I just got weary, not to mention chronically sore knees.

Since I took up triathlon, my overall fitness and endurance has improved. I probably ride 25% of the mileage I used to do, but my bike performance has improved. And mixing things up w/ the other 2 disciplines + some weights has kept me from doing any one activity too much. Knee problems I used to have on the bike have disappeared.

To be sure, you can burn out on triathlon training too. But the cross-training adds variety that is good physically and psychologically (IMO)

Give it a tri!
www.trifind.com

Wish I could try a triathlon, but I swim "Like a Rock" (sorry Chevrolet truck guys). So, that doesn't tempt me. . .

Marilyn, in a small way I know how you feel. I've been a recreational runner for about 25 years, and over the last couple of years have had to deal with the impact of aortic stenosis on my training (along with age, of course) -- not a fun process. Then, a month or so ago, I had some minor oral surgery and a month of antibiotics, which seemed to have a major impact on my running -- couldn't seem to run the pace or distance I did just before that. I was brow-beating myself, then I was worrying that my valve was starting the next phase of deterioration. I cut back the intensity of my run, and after nearly a month of "dogging it" I am just now beginning to hit my stride again. Who knows why these things happen? I also allowed myself to be convinced by my cardio that I should cut down from running 7 days a week to 5 -- gives the body a small rest now and then.

Keep in touch with your body -- I still believe in the saying "Treat it well and it will treat you well."

Latest posts

Back