On-X Valve With Conduit Attached

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian

Spoke with my surgeon yesterday and found out that I need to have a piece of my aorta replaced. He spoke with the medical device supplier and was told they now have the On-X Valve with conduit attached. Of course he said in the event it doesn't exist he could just attach it with no problem. I did a quick google search and found the link below.

http://www.onxlti.com/2011/01/on-x-lti-receives-fda-approval-for-aap/

I don't know if this has been posted before, and if so I'm sorry for the re-post.

Has anyone on the forum had their surgery with this newer setup? If so I would like to know how things went and are going thus far. Thanks team!

Hi Julian

I did not require the, "ON-X Vascutek Gelweave Valsalva Graft" along with replacement of my aortic valve due to severe AS and an aneurism of the ascending aorta. Rather I required a graft of the ascending aorta down stream of the aortic root and replacement of the AV. Hence I was implanted with an On-X AV and had a separate graft of the ascending aorta accomplished. Had I required replacement of the aortic root, I had the Canadian On-X rep lined up to go with the Canadian certification so I could be implanted.

For me On-X was my personal choice and I would accept nothing else. My surgeon knew this before we even met for our initial consultation. My surgeon worked with me and the On-X company to make it a reality for me. He was the first in my home city to implant the valve and I was the first patient to receive the prosthetic at age 55. Hats off to my cardiologist who supported me through the process, he said, "if you want an On-X, they have to implant it". Know that it is the individual Canadian provincial legislation that permits patient demands.

Am I satisfied with my On-X AV? Indeed I am. I can discuss indefinitely as to why I like the prosthetic, but I would be regurgitating what is presented on the On-X web site.

We have members who have been implanted with the full spectrum of MHV's. Most are very happy with what was implanted be it St. Judes, CarboMedics, On-X, etc with very few complaints.

If you feel the On-X is right, then go for it. Phone the tech reps and pose the tough questions, it's very interesting ruling out the sh_t from the shinola.

I got your PM but posted here for others to digest. If you require confidentiality on matters, then by all means PM me and we will discuss the issue privately.

Julian

Go for your desire. Know this, the On-X PROACT study is Canadian led. We do not approve anything in the great white north unless it has been proven beyond any doubt and dissected. To date the study has met all expectations. My INR post op for 2.5 months was 1.6 to 1.9 The ACT managers slowly increased my dosage by about 10 % per week and I'm finally stable at 2.0. With the On-X AV, the study has proven successful maintaining On-X implant recipients in the range of 1.5 to 2.0. Hence, no panic.

I required a conduit, but at the time, 1 year ago, On-X, was still in the approval stage to release theirs. So, my sugeon made his own and attached it to the On-X valve.

The news of this that you referenced is dated Jan, 2011. This is very good news for those requiring this type of valve.

Rob

Hi again Julian

Research, leading up to choosing an AV made my pre-surgery wait very interesting and educational. When I arrived at the hospital for the surgery date, I had something to look forward to. I was very excited to be implanted with the latest and greatest in technology. I had good fun wowing my ward mates with my knowledge and chatting with the medical team.

I am still of the opinion that On-X is still the leader in MHV technologies. ATS and On-X are close but.....no pannus protection is incorporated in the ATS design. On-X has pannus protection provided by the inlet flare or bell mouth. I went mechanical to "hopefully" avoid another reop. On-X had all the bells and whistles and won out.

I checked out your "about me" details. At your age you definitely want a valve and conduit with excellent long term performance. Good job digging in and doing your home work. Be excited and have fun with your personal challenge!

bdryer,

How has the valve clicking noise with the conduit been for you? I've heard some suggest it might amplify the noise.

I am planning to get the On-X + attached graft for my AVR surgery most likely to happen this October. I have moderate to severe AR with some mild SOB and a 47mm AA. After meeting with my surgeon, he said he would be willing to put the On-X in me even though he prefers the St-Jude. He said that he prefers the St-Jude conduit because the On-X one seemed "cheap" to him, whatever that means. He did admit that it would not make a difference to me as a patient, just his surgical preference.

-Steve

Latest posts

Back