Nervous about Surgery and the Odds

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am deffinately throwing everthing at this upcomming event...counceling, Yoga, eating clean, i have my hospital team and aftercare teams all set up...feeling better about the surgery today than I did 3 months ago when it was scheduled. I can't wait to move forward, start jogging again and living the life I want.

Hi Blue

Blue Sue;n847607 said:
... but I am also abruptly confronted by my mortality.

I think this is a natural part of living *but* it is very badly handled by modern western society. The reasons for why are complex (happy to discuss) but suffice to say that I consider the awareness of death is an essential part of actually living. By awareness I mean more direct knowledge than the abstract. For instance people know that being in a car accident is traumatic, but after one has been in a car accident one finds ones self saying what one said before but somehow knowing the meaning behind the words. Reading books and talking about it prepares you but only in confronting it do we really know.

One of the other things is what I term the wake up call. Its that point when after it you look around at everything and everyone around you and realise that its all changed (except them). The following is written in a metaphorical manner with "asleep" being the state one must be in to get a "wake up" ...

Many people want to go back to sleep after this wake up call. Many of us go back to sleep slowly and this is often called "getting on with one's life" by those who remain sleeping.

I experienced these wake up calls on many occasions and have found myself back asleep again. The earliest was before I really even considered that I was asleep. That was in my twentieth year and I had been already living life (I came to understand later) as one who follows the teachings of Bushido. That I'd already had OHS and two other minor procedures (angiograms were quite different in the 70's) probably contributed to that.

My next "wakeup call" was about 2005 when I was primary carer for my mum. I got off the phone after discussing with the Dr about if she should or should not be "resus'd" if she went into cardiac arrest because of the frailty of her rib cage (age and atrophy) may leave her in substantial onging pain and contribute to her more rapid demise (she had ahlzimers). I looked around the room (the phone call was timed during an office "birthday party") and realised that this constructed world I was inhabiting bore no relation to the actual realities of life.

I again drifted off into this "sleep" (though not as deeply, I was more or less just dozing) with career, marriage and general life when I got a similar "wake up call" in 2012 from my Dads Dr asking about what we should do about his "fluid on the lungs" and his ability to survive another drain (he was by then in paliative care for a metastasized cancer starting from the liver).

I won't go on more but its important to recognise that our llives are really about the relationships with people and the things we experience. Knowing that it ends is an important part to determining the "economics" of how you make choices within your life.

I know nothing I've said will make that shock less, I just hope that anything I've said helps to give you a better outcome

Best Wishes

Thank you Pellicle for your reply. Your are a good writer...I alway overedit my posts and usually end up deleting most of what I type, so I am impressed.

I am just waking up and don't want to miss what is right in front of me. Seeing a councilor has really been helpful. She asked me what I wanted and I told her I just wanted to be happy. I am working on that. I am not a spiritual person but I really think I could get into yoga...it is a good place to start for me.

You have a very good surgeon; put your faith in him and his team. Quite a few (still living!) people in this forum have been patients of Dr. Miller. The waiting is the hardest.

That reminds me of conversations I would have with my husband before I had surgery. Whenever I'd mention someone from here who had the same surgeon, he would interject "not dead?" into my story. We share a dark sense of humor.

Maybe you would like to take an online course that focuses on happiness, Blue Sue. I am enrolled in this Science of Happiness class right now (free online course through UC Berkeley Greater Good Science Center) and it has tons of great content.

https://www.edx.org/course/uc-berkeleyx/uc-berkeleyx-gg101x-science-happiness-1497#.VEAPNPldVKd

It started Sept 9, but I think you can still enroll. Mix of short video lectures and readings on research findings that are pretty fascinating, plus you do online responses (and can read those of others) and are invited to try different "happiness practices" used in their experiments yourself.

Hi

river-wear;n848733 said:
...Whenever I'd mention someone from here who had the same surgeon, he would interject "not dead?" into my story. We share a dark sense of humor.

if ever you guys move to Australia or Finland you'll fit right in :)

Back