Multaq - I'm on it and seeing results

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shari Thomas

Hello folks,

I'm new here and have recently been diagnosed with a leaking bicuspid aortic valve, atrial fibrillation, chronic heart failure, sleep apnea, and thyroid nodules... That's a lot to take in when I thought I was just too fat and living at 5300 feet was causing me to be short of breath.

Was diagnosed on July 23 when I finally got so tired I couldn't feed the cows, sheep and then the horses without sitting down to catch my breath. The following four days at Dixie Regional Medical Center in St. George, UT were pretty fuzzy for me.

They didn't hesitate to do as many tests as they felt they needed, EKG, ECG (both heart and thyroid gland), CT with contrast, chest X-rays, innumerable blood test. Finally they ended with a heart cath which my cardio said wasn't required right now, but would need it eventually. I said "what the hell" you've got me here, get it done.

After 4 days, I was still in a-fib, but had dropped about 12 pounds of water. I was released and began the regimen of meds; digoxin, carvedilol, furosimide, magnesium oxide, Klor-con, aspirin, warfarin.

Aug 11, I was back in the ER with chest pains. Spent the night in observations and scared the crap out of the night staff when I quit breathing (most likely the unofficially diagnosed sleep apnea).

On Sept 9 I underwent my first cardioversion. That was successful for about 48 hours. I fell out of rhythm and was back in the ER (where they even knew my first name) for a couple of hours. Was sent home with a diagnosis of (unspecified palpitations). When I saw my cardio a few days later, he was furious... got no notes from them, and incomplete blood tests.

He (Dr Lynn Nimer, who's considered one of the best cardio's in all of Utah) has now begun talking surgery sooner rather than later (later was after the first of the year). At the same time, the drug rep showed up with Multaq, and I agreed to try it. They even gave me a full month's worth... no idea the cost, only that it is very expensive.

Within 48 hours, my feet got warm. They've not been warm in twenty years. I've had few side effects, bit of a loose stool and a little gassy, but no nausea.

I've undergone the second cardioversion and my heart has remained in rhythm. Also, I'm off the digoxin, and aspirin, and have been instructed to only take 6.25mg of carvedilol if my heart rate exceeds 55 bpm. So far, that hasn't happened.

Nimer and staff have a playful office pool going on whether or not I'll still be in rhythm this coming Tuesday when I see them again. The night before that, I'm doing the Split Study for sleep apnea.

I'll keep you posted on what happens.

Multaq is dronedarone, the improved safety profile version of amiodorone. It's far less problematic than its counterpart.

Glad it's working for you. That is a very good sign.

Best wishes,

Just wanted to say hello & welcome you to the forum. I also hope that the multaq continues to work well for you & you notice improvement with your issues.

Please feel free to ask whatever questions you may have. We're here to help & support you in any way that we can, so ask away.

Best wishes!

Thanks y'all,

I'm still finding my way around here, but am thrilled to talk with others who have blazed the path before me. Now, if I could just find some other Southern Utah folks...

Latest posts

Back