Mending a Broken Heart

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I not only have heard of it, but in 2005 my cousin who is a doctor in NY mentioned to me that Mehmet Oz was doing that kind of experimental surgery if I wanted to try it. I didn't want to and am very glad I had OHS, but I can see how it could be a very good alternative for someone in a weakened condition that could easily die during OHS.

A couple of nights ago on the late national news, I saw some doctors discuss implanting a tissue valve by going in the leg vein. This was a collapsible valve in a protective wire framework. Patients were the very elderly. Very interesting on many levels.

Bina said:
A couple of nights ago on the late national news, I saw some doctors discuss implanting a tissue valve by going in the leg vein. This was a collapsible valve in a protective wire framework. Patients were the very elderly. Very interesting on many levels.

I have read articles on this too. I think it has only been done on aortic valves, but I am not sure. I saw an article a year or so ago about my cardiologist (who works at the Montreal Heart Institute, where I had my surgery) who, along with one of the surgeons, implanted a valve through a vein in a woman who would have otherwise been too weak for OHS.

Adrienne said:
I have read articles on this too. I think it has only been done on aortic valves, but I am not sure. I saw an article a year or so ago about my cardiologist (who works at the Montreal Heart Institute, where I had my surgery) who, along with one of the surgeons, implanted a valve through a vein in a woman who would have otherwise been too weak for OHS.

They also replace pulmonary valves that way,with great success, I think the first was around 2000 http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/112/8/1189

CCF has some good basic info diagrams of different repairs/replacemtns w/ caths
http://www.clevelandclinic.org/hear...ousValve.htm?gclid=CMKGrKLHxI8CFQ9ggQodEz_caQ

Interested in learning more from Bina, the goat lady.

Interested in learning more from Bina, the goat lady.

Bina said:
I would be very interested in learning more detail about this, and following it. I had a tissue mitral valve put in this year and I am doing well. Nevertheless, at some point down the road, this tissue valve may wear out, hopefully not, but if it did, I would love to avoid OHS and still get it replaced effectively.

valves

valves

This is really good information. I had the aortic valve replaced about 18 months ago and now there is some question about the mitral valve. I go in next week to have it check. It certainly would be nice when the time comes that I have to deal with it, I could do it a different way. My valve regurgitates.

Frankly, I think this is the future for anyone who needs aortic or mitral valve replacement. Like the surgeon said, an hour or so on the pump is a wack and then having your sternum sawed and then wired back together again is no fun either.

Back