Medtronic-MDT to acquire CoreValve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChouDoufu

just saw this item in the financial news.....could be good news. i'm hoping
my next replacement will be plug-n-play.

Medtronic (Symbol : MDT) announced it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire CoreValve, Inc., developer of a transcatheter, transfemoral aortic valve replacement product. This non-surgical, alternative offers the large number of high or prohibitive surgical risk patients an opportunity to have their aortic valves replaced using a catheter inserted through an artery in the groin. The agreement calls for an initial payment of $700 million plus additional payments contingent upon the achievement of agreed milestones.

medtronic isn't going to blow $700M+ on a whim. they want a return on investment.
they're big enough, and have the r&d facilities (and the marketing) to succeed.
i don't expect them to be satisfied with just 'high-risk' patients. they're going to
want to make it a viable alternative to standard ohs for everyone.

Gee, that's terrific news! If I live long enough, and need another valve, maybe I won't have to have my chest opened up! I did however have a minimally invasive aortic replacement. I am DEFINITELY NOT looking forward to that type of procedure again though.

Best regards, Kathy

Latest posts

Back