Medtronic Freestyle Valve Info?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigbyDog

Hi All,

I will soon be another new member to the AVR club. I have been searching and reading wonderful stories and information on this sight. Thank you all for sharing your stories which have been very helpful in learning about valve replacements and living life after surgery. When I am through this process, I look forward to sharing my complete story in more detail to help others as well...

Short version about me, I am 45 yr old extreme athlete with aortic stenosis caused be radiation treatment to cure Hodgkins back in the 80's. I have been cancer free, but 30 yrs later, now need a new AV. Because I have a smaller root, my Dr. suggested that the Medtronics Freestyle Valve would be a good potential option or the On-X mechanical.

I have done searches on this sight, but do not seem to come up with much recent free back on folks with this valve. If anybody has experience with the Freestyle, I would like to hear your perspective.

Thanks in advance for sharing!

Brad

Those pig valves such as the Mosaic and Freestyle , seemed to have more troubles, such as early failures or mismatches. Quite often blamed to the installation and not the valve by the manufacturer. It was one type of valve I specifically requested not to have. But then again from what I read, it may be the best tissue valve to choose.

I ended up having a St Jude Trifecta tissue valve, (surgeon's choice) but if choice were left to me I'd strongly consider the Edwards-Carpentier tissue valves, just based solely on how long they have been doing tissue valves really well.

If I were looking mechanical instead, I'd have no preference amongst the newer generation of mechanicals. On-x, St. Jude, ATS,...I think they're all similarlly great.

That's just my opinion on the choice stuff. Nothing wrong with selecting a Freestyle, just look first at maybe the negatives involved from some of the early failures. If it doesn't scare you off, could be the valve for you.

The only other issue that concerned me amongst valve selection stuff, was the issue St. Jude's had with using an unapproved and harmful coating on one brand of valves. There was at least one member here in past that got one of those types and wasn't impressed with how it was handled afterwards, nor impressed that they would use an unapproved coating in first place. But on the other hand, St. Jude has a long history of success as well.

Thank you all for helping me to piece my decision tougher with additional information. This is such a hard process to strategically plan out when you don't know what the final outcome will be until the Dr. opens up your chest (aortic root size and potential additional calcification). I will continue my research… Thankful for everyone on this forum.

Welcome Digby! I had my AVR last June, along with an ascending aortic aneurysm repair. My surgeon opted to use a Medtronic Freestyle. I'm 16 months out, and very happy. I've got a long two day bike ride starting tomorrow, so you needn't worry about keeping up with your athletic activities. I'm 56 and active, so a similar profile to you...folks here have said that once you have made the mechanical/biological choice, there is some value in having your surgeon use what he/she is accustomed to.

Latest posts

Back