mechanical or tissue valve and an active lifestyle?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

The reduction of alcohol which previously I considered as a negative has really turned out to be a positive as I haven't had a hangover in 13 years...!

myself I had to entirely quite alcohol because about 2 years back I developed a tachycardia. Once that happened alcohol triggered it badly (even when on metoprolol). Even 1 nip would do it. It would take at least 24 hours to feel better, 3 days to entirely right again.

So it didn't take long for the "Pavlov's Dog experiment" to work on me and 2 years later I do miss having the occasional whiskey but I don't miss the bad thumping high heart rates.

I'm still dry ... at least its cheaper that way ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Best Wishes

Reactions: V__
Welcome aboard RDish.
I usually resist posting to these valve choice threads however as you are 41 the same age as I was at surgery I can’t resist this time.

Firstly I agree with Dick if you get a mechanical valve you are very unlikely to require surgery again.

I often think the term "active" is used in the wrong context when people evaluate valve choice, either valve will allow you extreme aerobic exertion post surgical recovery if you do not have any health issues limiting your cardiac output, as the surgeon put it. Neither valve is as good as a native valve as far as flow goes, however unless you are competing at professional level you shouldn’t notice it.
I believe Al with the comment "Contact Sports are generally discouraged" with mechanical valves went only part of the way, I was warned also of "any" sporting activity that carries the risk of a significant impact to the head. Helmets while good at preventing mechanical damage to the head such as a fractured skull are of limited value in stopping your brain moving inside the skull which is the cause of concussion and brain bleeding. My cardio actually cited several examples of her patients that had "bad outcomes" as she put it from these types of activities.
The other point I have not seen anyone mention with mechanical valves is the risk of overseas travel to non first world countries where different diet, upset stomach can interfere with warfarin and there is unlikely to be someone available with lovonox as a backup or a well equipped ER.
I found it interesting that my cardio favours tissue valves and the surgeon mechanical in this age group, the only thing I can put it down to is the cardio having a closer ongoing involvement post surgery with patients. Even the medical community is split!!

Lyn I have spoken to my surgeon about percutaneous valves as they are being done currently at the hospital I attend, however they are presently only being used on patients that are unsuitable for conventional surgery. I asked why and he indicated their performance (flow) was not as good as a conventional valve.

In the end it comes down to what are the negatives of each of the valve types you find can most easily live with.
Finally somebody gets it. I'm living in the third world country at the present moment but it's got really good medical care. Thailand. But I'm worried about going to other countries even develop ones like Singapore or my diet can vary quite a bit because I'm not getting the same food as I would in Bangkok or thailand. And sometimes I go farther down the food chain to places like China Vietnam even Laos or Cambodia or the Philippines where it's even more sketchy in regards to the availability of food good Medical Care etc etc. I have the strong sense that most people on this board are living very protected comfortable lies in First World countries so it's hard to say how people would react or their INR would react if they were put in uncomfortable unfamiliar situations in developing countries.

The other point I have not seen anyone mention with mechanical valves is the risk of overseas travel to non first world countries where different diet, upset stomach can interfere with warfarin and there is unlikely to be someone available with lovonox as a backup or a well equipped ER.

The other point I have not seen anyone mention with mechanical valves is the risk of overseas travel to non first world countries where different diet,
oh ... my guess is you systematically ignore everything you're told every time you ask it

there is indeed life after OHS ... my first one was at about 10 or 12 (can't be sure). I'm over 50 now.

I went on to do a couple of degrees , travel extensively and live overseas (I'm Australian) for many years.
and

So in my own case after some difficulties I had with the convenience of testing at QML I built a case to my GP based on frustrations I had (getting to work on time, only having testing weekdays, frustrations with communication of doses {initially it was voice, moved to SMS text}, my veins were getting scarred due to frequent testing {frequent means weekly}, overseas travel making testing at the lab impossible for some weeks at a time ...) and that I already had a machine for self testing we created a plan and within a month (or so) I'd moved away from the Clinic.
and
totally no reason why you can't ... even as a "warfarin user" I go overseas for months at a time and my self tester comes with me. So its totally just take a pill and 10 minutes a week to
  1. read my INR
  2. write it in the spreadsheet,
  3. consider if any action on dose needs to be taken
  4. put my pills into my daily division week long pill box
not much out of my time for a healthy life. I spend more time cooking dinner and that's every day.
and
asically I'd not gotten around to a checkup for well over ten years (living overseas a lot, I'm Australian) but I felt from the way things were "feeling" inside my chest (the feel of my heart beat) it felt like there was some leak. That I was XC skiing almost every day in the winter and cycling to work made me feel that it was minor but that it appeared and developed within a year or so made me feel "it was time".
and
I frequently travel overseas for work and I've had no issues with managing my INR and Wafarin. I self test and bring my machine with me when travelling.

and from 2010

I travel a lot overseas on my business. Doing it for 19 years since my AVR. I have a st Jude mechanical valve. My trips were international mostly from india to USA ( 18-20 hrs of flight). I never had problems. I

If you aren't going to listen why bother asking? Or is it just to have the opportunity to diss us? Because you're so superior?

have the strong sense that most people on this board are living very protected comfortable lies in First World countries so it's hard to say how people would react or their INR would react if they were put in uncomfortable unfamiliar situations in developing countries.
we'd react like all the posts above (and hundreds of others here) suggest.

We test and know.

But wait, why am I talking to a guy who just apologised for being a ----- and then comes right back along to be a ----- again?

David; for the record
from this actual thread (after which you were quite pissy)
'The other point I have not seen anyone mention with mechanical valves is the risk of overseas travel to non first world countries where different diet, upset stomach can interfere with warfarin and there is unlikely to be someone available with lovonox as a backup or a well equipped ER." I live in a developing country and while I don't have concerns here in Bangkok I do worry if I go to smaller cities or in other parts of Asia.
my reply to that
Except you, which has been answered here

But then you're on record for not reading answers that make you feel bad.

Many of us here have tried, for years in some cases, to help and advise you. Yet you refuse to take any of it.

Why?
and here we are again on the mobius strip
Finally somebody gets it. I'm living in the third world country at the present moment but it's got really good medical care. Thailand.

I happen to know that one of the members here speaks with you at length (and don't just bombard him with the usual flood of wordsalad transcription emails, because I happen to know that he needs a bit of space right now). I happen to know that he (as well as I here on this forum) has and continues to encourage you to write all this down. so you can read it and refer to it and know its already been answered.

But you don't do you ...

why is that David?

Is your "treatment resistant whateverYouCallit" really that you just don't want to "get better"

You don't seem interested in learning about choices and learning how to make a decision, you seem to be using this as a method of deferral / denial / deflection.

Let me assure you that you can't do any of the above because it can not be bargained with.

As I have advised you before:
You are not a candidate for managing INR, your best choice (of a bunch of bad choices) is to get a Resilia bioprosthesis and begin recovery as soon as possible.

Everyone here has made that choice or is making it. Now its your turn.

Best Wishes

I feel that getting a tissue is risky, especially if you are susceptible to calcification. The valve may calcify much quicker, infact ~5 years is not uncommon on a few folks. A mechanical acually makes sense with a portable tester

For me it was just a practical decision, one back to surgery in high 70s, the other get it done once and take a pill, so i choose Not to plan going again for surgery and dealing with the degradation of the tissue one; the pill yeah, keeps you busy; but, 'for me" rather deal with the pill things than doing another heart surgery and stay 5 days inside a hospital...., just me....

This in "one 1" of many interesting articles comparing mechs and tissues and who lives longer at the end. Could be of interest for those facing decision making, just a thought....

Attachments

• More Deaths With Bioprosthetic Than Mechanical AVR in Patients younger than-70 .pdf
    205.8 KB · Views: 0
Morning
This in "one 1" of many interesting articles comparing mechs and tissues and who lives longer at the end. Could be of interest for those facing decision making, just a thought....
I can't help but laugh at this wording
1710188655171.png

which is hilarious because I had my first OHS at about 10 years old and there are other members here who had theirs in high school.

So accordingly I have warned people about interpreting what "younger" means with this meme of my own making for about a decade here now.

1710188823509.png

Further we have many members here who are under 50 and engaged in normal activity (amateur level power lifting, down hill skiing, marathon running, cycling ...) and are athlete level people. I was under 50 when I joined.

My impression is that all of the "under 50 at OHS" members have mechanical valves and are doing just fine decades into their "second life".

Indeed we just got a bevy of younger than 40 members.

Thanks for posting that study, it was a good read.

Back