INR Ranges

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

The range for my Aortic valve, set by my doctors, is 2-3. It is less than the Mitral valve recommended ranges because there is a stronger force of blood flow through the aortic valve, than the mitral. Thus the chance of clotting around the aortic valve is a bit less than the mitral.

That being said, I like you, prefer to have a margin of safety, and informed my doctor that I would rather set my range to 2.5 - 3.5. He had no issue with that, and that is what I set as my tolerance range for my INR with my mechanical Aortic Valve.

Look at it this way, many folks have ranges up to 3.5 or even in some cases, 4.0. and yet others down to the 2.0 - 3.0 range.
Our INR effects the whole body, not just a specific area.
So, if it is ok for some to have an upper limit of 3.5, then that should also be ok with the rest of us if you desire to use it.
the lower ranges suggested for the aortic valve is determined based on what is needed to protect it from clotting factors, and since the strongest BP force comes through the aortic, the chance of blood pooling around it and clotting are not as great as with the other valves. At least this is hhow it was all explained to me years ago, and I am still ticking 13 yrs later.

Rob

Latest posts

Back