In Today - Op Tomorrow

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vincent63

Will have my AV replaced at Bristol Heart Institute. Almost certain to go for mechanical ... Looking forward to coming around and seeing my family.

Day 5 and I am being discharged. The treatment at Bristol Heart Insitute (BHI) is fantastic .... Everyone from the cleaner to the surgeon was a star.. And the nursing staff were so pleasant and reassuringly professional. I had my St Jude Mechanical fitted ... Surgeon was Mr Serban Stoica ... The scar line is very straight and tidy.... The valve ticks like one of my watches ...this is very reassuring ... I know there are hard days ahead but I have slept well the last 3 nights and I am doing exactly what I have been told to do. I have learned a lot in the last 5 days ... But the 5 weeks of prep including a lot of reading on this site were very helpful.

Thanks for the kind comments ... I am doing my breathing and walking ... Great news is I have also been sleeping in my own bed .. And my wife said I didn't snore at all which is not "normal" .. Was worried about having to sleep in a recliner so this is great .... Eating a lot less than I was before op ... But eating better than I was in hospital. Still taking tramadol as was told not to suffer pain .. So I will continue with this for a little while ... Had it 14 years ago after an accident and it worked well then with minimum side effects. Looking forward to updating on the site and commenting with a little bit more experience under my belt.

Congrats, sounds like it couldnt have gone any better! I have mine on Aug. 11 only a bit over a week away. Wish I could check in to the hospital the day before, I think it would make me a lot more comfortable. I have to be at the hospital at 5am so they book me a hotel room across the street at least. Just seems weird to me, Im sure its an insurance thing...

almost_hectic;n857149 said:
I have mine on Aug. 11 only a bit over a week away. Wish I could check in to the hospital the day before, I think it would make me a lot more comfortable. I have to be at the hospital at 5am so they book me a hotel room across the street at least. Just seems weird to me, Im sure its an insurance thing...
Checking in the day before is a UK thing Hectic (maybe European too ?). Even though my surgery was scheduled for 1 pm I had to check in the afternoon of the day before, almost a full 24 hours before surgery ! And I had mine done under Bupa, that is private insurance, not NHS, so not sure it's an insurance thing in the US as Bupa didn't have any qualms about covering me for coming in 24 hours before surgery - so it might simply be different 'customs' in different countries. But wishing you all the VERY BEST for the 11th !

Paleogirl;n857150 said:
Checking in the day before is a UK thing Hectic (maybe European too ?). Even though my surgery was scheduled for 1 pm I had to check in the afternoon of the day before, almost a full 24 hours before surgery ! And I had mine done under Bupa, that is private insurance, not NHS, so not sure it's an insurance thing in the US as Bupa didn't have any qualms about covering me for coming in 24 hours before surgery - so it might simply be different 'customs' in different countries. But wishing you all the VERY BEST for the 11th !

Yeah in the U.S. THEY they make the hospital limit your stay to only what's absolutely necessary. Thanks for you support!

Latest posts

Back