How to find a surgeon?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyonsAudio

After my last TEE my cardiologist said its time for some mitral valve repair. Where do we start looking to find a surgeon?

I also have to move from Maine in the next month, so I am trying to find a new cardiologist and find a cardiac surgeon. We (wife) are finishing graduate school and starting internship next fall in Green Bay Wisconsin. This is also where family is located so its pretty ideal to have the surgery after we move.

We also have to deal with insurance as far as relocating goes.

I am just not sure how to get this ball rolling.

Any input?

Well, your pending relocation may make things a bit more involved. When I was ready for valve replacement, my cardio and I discussed who the best surgeons would be for my procedure. He recommended three surgeons - two at the highly rated major hospital where he did his residency and one from an even larger, even more highly rated hospital in downtown Chicago. I ultimately chose the surgeon at the downtown location, as he was the highest regarded of the three. I did meet and consult with two of the three. The one I chose wasn't chosen for his "bedside manner" but he was chosen for his vast experience and knowledge of the valve I chose. (He was on its development team while he was at Cleveland Clinic.)

I'm not sure what you will find around Green Bay in the way of good surgical hospitals and surgeons. You may end up going to Madison, Milwaukee, or even Chicago. Do you have a cardio in Green Bay yet? Sometimes they are good sources of referrals. Otherwise, you can always ask around about hospitals and then look at which surgeons practice there and make appointments for consultation.

If you are considering Chicago, I had my surgery done by Dr. Patrick McCarthy at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, and I am a very happy customer.

Get your insurance figured out first, since they pay for the doctors and hospital. You don't want to go out of network for this unless you are rich.

Your current cardio may know the best place to get your hear fixed that is close to Green Bay. I know that Milwaukee has a hospital that specialized in cardio work since my in-laws live there. I just don't remember the name.

Heck, you could go to Minneapolis, or the World Famous Mayo Clinic in Rochester for that matter--insurance willing, and if you can't find someone closer to home. Hopefully you can just find someone in Milwaukee. I would think that if you get insurance, then a cardiologist, he/she would be able to refer you for surgery. Did you try asking your current cardiologist for a long-distance referral to either?

My current cardio (who I have really liked of my past 3) said that he doesn't know of anyone in the Wisconsin area as he is unfamiliar with that region. He also said that he was not even sure if he would recommend anyone up in this area of Maine do to the complicatedness of both leaflets needing work. I guess the anterior leaflet is less common to get worked on.

I have setup an appointment with a cardio in Green Bay for the 1st week of June, which I hope by then my insurance will have switched over. I buy my insurance through the ObamaCare marketplace due to my self employment status.

What has been peoples timelines from cardio saying "go" to surgery date? To best not mess up my summer I would love to have this mess over by mid August.

There are a number of web tools available to help. First you need to get an idea what your insurance covers. When looking for a surgeon, I cross reference the hospitals on my plan with the top hospitals in the area:
http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/search?city=53405&specialty_id=IHQCARD&distance=250
(I grew up in Racine, WI, so I based the search on that zip code)
Then I look for top rated surgeons using https://www.castleconnolly.com/. It costs a few $'s a month but you really only need to do this once.
I also go to Healthgrades.com. It is free and they have info on hospitals and Dr's. Of particular interest to me are the patient ratings of the Dr's.

You ask how long the time was between the "Go" decision and actual surgery? Mine went like this - we decided I was ready for surgery in Mid-December. I had my surgery at the end of February. It could have gone faster, but I had to schedule around some critical work issues. Fortunately, I had the luxury of being able to choose exactly when to do mine, within reason.

LyonsAudio;n855385 said:
My current cardio (who I have really liked of my past 3) said that he doesn't know of anyone in the Wisconsin area as he is unfamiliar with that region. He also said that he was not even sure if he would recommend anyone up in this area of Maine do to the complicatedness of both leaflets needing work. I guess the anterior leaflet is less common to get worked on.

I have setup an appointment with a cardio in Green Bay for the 1st week of June, which I hope by then my insurance will have switched over. I buy my insurance through the ObamaCare marketplace due to my self employment status.
I assume the way that works is you purchase insurance from a private company so you would still need to see which drs accept your insurance, deductibles, copays etc.

What has been peoples timelines from cardio saying "go" to surgery date? To best not mess up my summer I would love to have this mess over by mid August.
I had the convenience of choosing when to have my surgery so living in the northeast, outside Philly, I chose the beginning of February. I figured if I'm going to be couch bound more than usual better to be when its miserable out. Also this way I'd be largely healed by spring.

Thanks for the info everyone. If I could wait till Winter, I would. This cardio advised against it, perhaps after a consult or two I can nail down a timeframe.

Your cardio should have given you a time frame. I was told I needed surgery and although I did not need it within 2 weeks to not to wait more than 3 months. My cardio suggested the surgeon, who also said not more than 3 monhts. When they pulled my valve 2 months later they said it was ready to fail.

You say you are switching insurance providers and are under the USG program. I know nothing of this area, but my experience in general says for you to make sure your new company covers you befor you leave your current provider. You will be restricted to the hospitals your insurance company has partnered with. Make sure the new insurance plan includes a state of the art heart hospital. The best place to start looking for a cardio, surgeon and hospital is with those that are covered under your plan...unless you have big money.

I agree if your picking a new insurance company and policy make sure it covers a hospital your likely to use and also they can't use your pre existing condition against you so that's a good thing. My cardio recommended a surgeon and although he was highly rated I decided to go with the guy who trained him who had more experience.

Latest posts

Back