Homograft Aortic Valve Replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill hall

All,

I have an infection in my chest and the patch done for my aortic aneurysm is leaking (fixed in 2011). So, I will be having surgery at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore on Wed, Nov 18. My question is about the aortic valve that was replaced at the Cleveland Clinic in 2001 by Dr. Cosgrove. It is very close to 15 years old and so due for replacement. On the other hand, it is performing well and could last for several additional years. I wonder about the risk of replacing the valve versus the risk another surgery if I don't have it replaced now. I will be letting the surgeon decide when he sees the valve, so your comments won't change any outcome. Please feel free to comment.

Bill

That's a tough call. I understand your rationale for getting everything done in a single surgery but my gut says if it ain't broke don't fix it. I think your best recourse is to trust your medical team on this one. Let us know your decision.

I'm assuming it's a tissue valve? Also curious how old you are. I say fix it whether it's broken or not if its a tissue valve and you've already had 2 OHS's. You say you had a 'patch ' done in 2001, does that mean the aneurysm was replaced with a graft ?

let the surgeon decide

cutting open your chest is not a trip to the supermarket. Each time introduces additional problems. So its like "while the covers are off replace everything"

each cut through the sternum gives the very real possibility that the bone may not knit properly (and remain mobile). While there are some here who advocate "have as many redo ops as you want" that is a foolhardy view. Have as many as are unavoidable is a better view.

I had my 3rd OHS driven by an aneurysm. It would have been the height of stupidity to leave the existing (but decaying) valve in there "because it may be good for another few years".

Reset everything and aim for either no future surgery or push it down the track as far as possible.

:)

Thank you all for the replies. I am 62 years old. The homograft is a donated human valve and I always assumed the aneurysm was replaced with a graft, but recently they called it a patch, so just using their terminology.

Bill

I told my surgeon I wanted everything taken care of "while he had the wheels off". I wouldn't want this surgery any more than necessary.

Back