Having a cold just before surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi All,

I was about to have my valve sparing operation on Tuesday to repair my bicuspid aortic valve in a big centre in Belgium. However, 2 days before the operation, I started having sore throat and cough. One day before the surgery date I was admitted to hospital and saw the surgeon and anaesthesiologist who I informed of my symptoms. However, none of them seem to think my symptoms are important. In fact I was pushed for surgery with the surgeon saying that my symptoms are due to anxiety!! They mentioned that all the tests were clear for surgery and there was no infection present.

Despite what the doctors were saying I took the decision to call of the surgery because it was only elective and not urgent. From my part this was a correct decision because next day I became even worse with a terrible cough, sneezing, runny nose and all the typical symptoms of having a bad cold. My whole family travelling with me also got sick.

Now, I am very concerned with the way they pushed me for surgery under these circumstances. From other responses in the forum I've seen that even with a simple sore throat surgery is postponed.

Your experiences and input would be very helpful on this.

Before my surgery in Kanas City, MO, in February, I asked about this due to the time of year. I was told that a simple cold would not deter surgery. More complex things, especially if there is a fever, would be handled on a case by case basis. I would imagine there are plenty of people where the surgery is not elective, so the surgical teams have some experience.

Having a cold may not be enough reason medically to postpone surgery, but postponing it saved you from the extra pain that coughing would have caused.

IMO, More important than should the surgeon and anesthesiologist have cancelled your surgery, is that you are questioning your choice for providers. Having had two OHS in four years, it was critical for me to have absolute trust in those who were taking care of me. If you question that prior to surgery, you may wish to meet with a different surgeon to see if you are more comfortable with someone else. While this is highly successful surgery there is no way to downplay how serious it is. Seeing you are not emergency, use the time to check around a bit.

I had a sore throat several days prior to my second surgery and had it not resolved prior to scheduled date, my surgeon indicated he would postpone me.

All best wishes.

Guest, I was unfornate of having infection flareup in one leg prior to surgery. They postponed to give the leg time to heal from the infection, and the meds to rid of the infections. I never felt pushed into surgery, I had been waiting for a couple of years for it to come, one week and a half would not hurt me. Glad the surgeon made his decision. And the infection cleared and had double bypass on the aortic valve and have a St. Judes' valve. Have had it for 14 years this year. Never regret doing it all.

Guest, I was unfornate of having infection flareup in one leg prior to surgery. They postponed to give the leg time to heal from the infection, and the meds to rid of the infections. I never felt pushed into surgery, I had been waiting for a couple of years for it to come, one week and a half would not hurt me. Glad the surgeon made his decision. And the infection cleared and had double bypass on the aortic valve and have a St. Judes' valve. Have had it for 14 years this year. Never regret doing it all. :Face-Laugh:

Back