Hair loss from warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrviking9!

Hello friends,
I had a 3rd AVR in September first two were tissue valves the third the ON-X valve as you can imagine I started warfarin right after and will be on it the rest of my life. About 9 weeks out I started noticing hair coming out in the shower and now my hair is noticeably thinner. It’s starting to freak me out I’m 62 and have always had a full head of thick hair. Please don’t get me wrong i am grateful to still be able to continue my journey on this planet and if my hair goes so be it. I’m just curious if any members on here have experienced this and are there any treatments that might have helped some of you. As always it’s a pleasure to be a member on here and best wishes and merry Xmas to all

Hi

one of my favourite topics is the things which are attributed to warfarin.

Have you considered that
  1. male hair loss typically happens in later life (few are fully immune throughout their entire life) and that you are now in later life
  2. you've undergone a massive trauma and that such things trigger senescence (google stress triggers senescence)
A worthy read:
https://www.valvereplacement.org/threads/warfarin-causes-dementia.887582/post-898208
his post quotes mine, also worth reading.

So, essentially, warfarin is strongly associated with:
  • dementia
  • hair loss
  • erectile dysfunction
  • wrinkles
  • feeling the cold
  • feeling hot
  • greying of hair
  • weight gain,
  • weight loss, and
  • unexpected children

I didn't have much grey in my beard pre my 3rd OHS, but in the following year I had quite a lot. I could blame warfarin or I could accept that its what I went through and "natural"

Anyway, welcome to this side, and no matter what pick up as much as you can about proper warfarin management, as this is what will see you get the very best post surgical outcomes.

Best Wishes

Hi
Sounds like it could be Telogen Effluvium, which typically happens two to three months after a stressful life event.
its funny, but I was intending to mention that (although I didn't know its name, so thanks for that) sort of shock response but forgot while typing (attention span clearly effected by digging up the other posts)

I knew of this back when this product was trialled. It never went anywhere because while the obsession with what "trauma" a sheep may (or may not) suffer was offset by the unusability of the fleece for commercial purposes (due it its irregular shedding)

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1991-08-26-fi-1008-story.html
of course that's a hormone driven interruption to folicle production, but trauma does the same thing (probably due to elevated stress driven hormones)

Best Wishes

Hello fellow September-operated friend 😊,

Hair loss and anticoagulation therapy seem to be related. i feel that for men it’s not a big deal as it can very well be normal aging, but for women it can be stressful.

This might be an interesting read:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4819463/
Happy holidays, keep ticking !
Hey friend , thanks for the link it was very informative and explains how my recent change with hair loss can happen. Hopefully this trend with my hair will cease and lost hair will grow back . Thanks again best wishes

Hello friends,
I had a 3rd AVR in September first two were tissue valves the third the ON-X valve as you can imagine I started warfarin right after and will be on it the rest of my life. About 9 weeks out I started noticing hair coming out in the shower and now my hair is noticeably thinner. It’s starting to freak me out I’m 62 and have always had a full head of thick hair. Please don’t get me wrong i am grateful to still be able to continue my journey on this planet and if my hair goes so be it. I’m just curious if any members on here have experienced this and are there any treatments that might have helped some of you. As always it’s a pleasure to be a member on here and best wishes and merry Xmas to all
I have some hair loss from Warfarin, so I keep hair short, I am Female and pretty(lol). I lose not a lot, but with is short, not too much goes down the drain as I use a hair catcher for the drain.

Hello fellow September-operated friend 😊,

Hair loss and anticoagulation therapy seem to be related. i feel that for men it’s not a big deal as it can very well be normal aging, but for women it can be stressful.

This might be an interesting read:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4819463/
Happy holidays, keep ticking !
Not so much stressful as just dealing with it. I keep my female hair short. Use a hair catcher in the tub, although I shower.

As Zoltania stated hair loss is common after a major traumatic event. Your nails may stop growing too and you'll find a ridge on your finger and/or toenails when they restart. I got this information from my cardio nurse and from my nurse on discharge after another major operation to remove part of my colon.

Back