finally i have a home test device ...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annamdg

I just realized I may have placed the below post in the Anti-Coagulation instead of here ...

I finally am a new owner of a CoaguChek XS as I read that was the latest model. It is so light and small. It came with 18 test strips so I am good for awhile. Also some capillary tubes. Is it weird that I am excited.

It'll be better than going to the hospital lab that is quite a ways where they jabbed me in the arm whilst pulling the needle in and out sometimes. And saying how my veins where tiny.

My question is ... has anyone used the Accu-Chek softclix and how painful is it ? It also came with a few coaguchek lancets ( blue and white ).

Congrats on getting your new Coaguchek XS.......YES, it is very exciting.
Freedom from labs and ruined veins. Yay.
My kit came with the Softclix lancing pen and a few of the yellow, 21 guage lancets. They do the job nicely.
Diabetic type of stick pins don't always produce a big enough drop of blood.
I don't know why you got capillary tubes, that sounds like needless fussing. Demand the proper lancets.

You definitely have reason to be excited about your new meter. I suspect that all home testers were (I know I was).

The capillary tubes may have been more necessary for the CoaguChek S, which had a small opening on the test strip that was designed to take the drop of blood. It was often kind of easy to miss that little dot - and if you miss the dot, or don't get enough blood onto it, the strip is trash. The capillary tubes drew the blood out from the finger, and supposedly made it easier to put the blood onto the little spot.

I don't have an XS, but I've read that it's much easier to get blood from finger onto strip -- either side of the strip, where it's indicated that blood should go, can draw the blood into the strip. There's probably no need for the capillary tubes - unless you have trouble getting blood onto the proper part of the strip.

As for lancets - the ones that Roche included with the device are definitely a good choice. You can probably do okay with the SoftClix lancing device as long as you get a 21 gauge lancet and set the device to maximum depth. You also have to remember to apply some (not a lot) pressure to the finger when lancing it. (If you don't use enough pressure, the incision may not be deep enough to get enough blood)

I've used the 21 gauge for my CoaguChek S, and I'm using some disposables called Bullseye that also get a large enough incision. (One possible advantage for the Softclix and 21 gauge is you can probably more accurately position it where you want the incision than a larger device. My bullseye sometimes misses the actual target, incising further to the side of my finger than I'd have wanted). Whichever lancing device you use, you'll probably prefer this to the stab-stab-stabbing of a lab.

If you do it right, these lancets are practically pain free.

One thing that may not have been stated clearly enough when you get the meter is that it's designed to take the FIRST drop of blood (don't wipe it off), and that the blood should be put onto the strip within fifteen seconds of making the incision.

I'm pretty sure that you'll really enjoy using that meter -- and will probably continue appreciating the empowering feeling that being able to take control of your INR (even if it's just testing and not necessarily managing) that the meter gives you.

Now - I'm off to test my INR....

Thank you Bina !

At first I admit I thought it was going to hurt sticking myself. Well, I have tried it out and surprisingly it did not hurt when I did it. I did have to do it twice though because the first time I could get enough sample to test. The second time I used a different depth setting and it worked.

I love the freedom from having to go into the doctors office / lab. And I didn't use the capillary tubes just put my finger next to the strip. So glad to be able to monitor the INR more closely.

Protimenow : On my second stick today I got enough blood to sample, had to squeeze the finger a bit. I do like the pen type lancets such as Softclix that I tried today. And yes, I am beginning to get the hang of this.

Thank you Bina !

At first I admit I thought it was going to hurt sticking myself. Well, I have tried it out and surprisingly it did not hurt when I did it. I did have to do it twice though because the first time I could get enough sample to test. The second time I used a different depth setting and it worked.

I love the freedom from having to go into the doctors office / lab. And I didn't use the capillary tubes just put my finger next to the strip. So glad to be able to monitor the INR more closely.

Yippee, you have already gotten the hang of it. Enjoy :)

There is absolutely nothing can compare to having one's own monitor and learning to use it correctly. Happy sticking!

There's not much of a learning curve. I'm glad you've already mastered it.

Yes, a deeper depth setting, and possibly a bit of 'milking' the blood out of the fingertip should be all you need to get a big enough drop.

I've seen on another post that one of the testers swings his arm around (to dry his hand and also bring more blood to the fingers), and it seems to work well for him. You shouldn't need to do anything quite as theatrical.

I use a ProTime 3 meter, which uses a lot more blood than the CoaguChek meters, and sometimes have to milk the blood from my palm, just below the finger being tested, up the finger, and then bring the blood up to the fingertip. With your meter, you should have no problem and won't have to do this.

And, yes, I can't think of another feeling quite like the feeling of freedom from doctor or lab visits that having your own meter gives you.

Latest posts

Back