Fastening or not to perform my test?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archkre

Hi there:

I am the happy owner of a coagucheck machine, and I forgot if it is necessary fasting to take the test.

I usually take the test first thing in morning before breakfast. Can the results of inr change if I fast or not?

Thank you!!!
Daniel::confused2::confused:

Oops, sorry for the typo!
I usually take the test first thing in morning before breakfast and most important before my morning medication (not warfarin).

I test in the morning, too. It's just how I worked testing into my schedule and I try to take warfarin just after supper.

Blood sugar and INR are unrelated. One should have nothing to do with the other. Warfarin takes days for the effects to show.

Even if you ate a lot of greens for breakfast, the reduction in your INR wouldn't show for a few hours (the effect of the vitamin K in the vegetables may be more rapid than the effects of warfarin).

Most people probably check their INRs the same approximate time of the day that they test -- but tests are usually done weekly, or even less often than that.

(For a while I was taking two different doses - 7 mg on every day but Sunday and Thursday, when I took 8 mg. I may have had a slightly higher INR 3 or 4 days after my 8 mg dose than on tests 3 or 4 days after my 7 mg dose, but that's the only time I expected much difference. AND this had NOTHING to do when whether I tested before or after a meal, etc.)

Hi there:

I am the happy owner of a coagucheck machine, and I forgot if it is necessary fasting to take the test.

I usually take the test first thing in morning before breakfast. Can the results of inr change if I fast or not?

Thank you!!!
Daniel::confused2::confused:

Daniel, congrats on getting your home monitor :)

Time of day and/or food intake has no effect on your test, so just do what is most convenient for you.
I like to do mine every couple of weeks during a quiet afternoon and I mark down the INR result on my
agenda and also on a sheet of paper that I keep with the monitor.
Enjoy !!

Latest posts

Back