CoaguChek S - WILL BE DEAD IN OCTOBER 2011

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protimenow

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
After wasting two strips trying to get a large enough drop of blood on my new CoaguChek S meter, I called Roche Tech Support. They were courteous, but not very helpful.

They gave me ONE VALUABLE PIECE OF INFORMATION -- they no longer support the CoaguCheck S meters, and THE LAST OF THE COAGUCHEK PT STRIPS WILL EXPIRE IN OCTOBER 2011.

This person wasn't completely clear on whether they will stop making the strips in October 2011 (meaning that they'll expire in 2012), or whether the last of the strips in inventory will EXPIRE in October 2011.

In the past, I've written about how the last generation meters - available for less money - were still probably usable meters, but even if the CoaguChek S works great, if you can't get strips for it, it's NOT a great value.

I don't see an XS in my near future. I've been using ProTime, and their strips work in their last generation and current generation meters.

Personally, I'll probably use up my stock of CoaguChek S strips - if I can even get many good tests with it - and retire this $40 meter next to the old Avocet (which apparently never got FDA approval or was bought by another company (Roche?) and cleaned up and sold under their name).

I'll probably continue my long-term relationship with ProTime meters -- they need more blood, but I waste practically NO strips, and they've got their quality controls built in.

I have the forerunner of the "S" model and called Roche today. I was told that there is some stock in the supply chain that will be depleted, but not more controls will be manufactured. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg.

I've answered yoiur other question on another thread.

The XS is comletely different. It's been out for only a year or two (depending on where you look, it could be almost 4 years). Roche keeps coming out with new versions aimed at medical professionals. There should be a good 3, 4, 5 or more years until the next model comes out, and unless they run into some problem they can't fix, it'll probably be supported even longer than that.

Enjoy your XS.

Is the "S" different than the "XS"? They're shipping me an XS as we speak - supposed to be here in 2 wks... Am I getting something that's about to be obsolete???

Andy, you are getting the latest Coaguchek model which is the XS. You will be thrilled with it.
It has built in quality controls, computer chip, long life battery (mine has been used for 3 years), and a really groovy travel case.
A beautiful monitor that is super accurate. Enjoy many years with it.

I have the forerunner of the "S" model and called Roche today. I was told that there is some stock in the supply chain that will be depleted, but not more controls will be manufactured. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg.

Boy that's a real antique you've got there Tommy..!! The original CoaguChek and the CoaguChek S both used the same strips, but the newer CoaguChek XS uses a different strip w/controls built in. Time to upgrade..!!

Thank goodness I have the latest meter(XL). Do have some trouble at times getting enough blood on strip. Otherwise its great. Todays check was 2.7 (weekly) Surgeon wants range 2.0 3.0

Hi Tom
You are lucky. My "S" stopped working 2 months prior to the 2-year warranty so I bought the XS. It's a great machine.

Hey, DL:

I have problems getting blood on the little dot for my S strips.

The manual for the XS says to touch the droplet of blood to the side of the strip. Users on this forum have confirmed that they have little trouble getting blood into the strip by putting the blood drop on the side. Capillary action on the side of the strip will draw the blood into the testing channels.

Just make sure your droplet is large enough, that it's the FIRST drop (don't wipe it off), and that you test within fifteen seconds of puncture, and you should be able to test easily and get accurate results.

Latest posts

Back