CoaguChek S Strip Recall - More end of meter life info

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protimenow

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Roche issued a recall on all CoaguChek PT test strips in 2006, and renewed it in 2009. http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ArchiveRecalls/2006/ucm112057.htm The recall cites a possible bias that could incorrectly report a higher than actual test result.

The recalls were due to a production issue, so current strips should be okay.

Perhaps the enhanced posibility that production errors could recur, causing another recall, is the reason Roche is being so aggressive about removing the meter from patients and medical providers, and upgrading to XS for many users.

Officially, according to a release that a Roche representative told me about, the last expiration date on the PT strips will be October 2011. (I guess that Roche gave themselves 5 years to discontinue the strips and exchange the meters for most who bought them from authorized dealers).

I posted this on another thread - but in case someone sees it here first... Is the Coagucheck XS different that the unit you're talking about? They're shipping me an XS as we speak, and it's supposed to be here in 2 wks... That's the one my dr. office uses so I was told to get the same one for my home testing. Am I getting a dud???

Yes. They're entirely different machines. The CoaguChek S came out a few years before the XS. The XS is supposed to have many improvements over the S, and uses different strips.

You definitely are not getting a dud. (Of course, in 10 years from now, with the meters take 1 ml of blood and connect directly to the Internet, and cost $15, you'll probably consider the XS to be a dud)

I would not be unhappy to be getting an XS. (I guess it is perhaps unfortunate that the names are so similar - but these are two, quite different meters)

Hello Andy

I've used both the "S" and the "XS".
The "XS" is a vast improvement over the "S". So much easier to use and much smaller in size.
Strips don't need refrigeration
Strips carry on-board controls eliminating the need for chemical controls. Two strips from a box of twelve were needed for these tests.

The "S" was great in its day, but its day has passed. Mine lasted just short of two years.

"XS" is an excellent machine. Happy sticking.

I posted this on another thread - but in case someone sees it here first... Is the Coagucheck XS different that the unit you're talking about? They're shipping me an XS as we speak, and it's supposed to be here in 2 wks... That's the one my dr. office uses so I was told to get the same one for my home testing. Am I getting a dud???
Andy, you are getting the latest Coaguchek model which is the XS. You will be thrilled with it.
It has built in quality controls, computer chip, long life battery (mine has been used for 3 years), and a really groovy travel case.
A beautiful monitor that is super accurate. Enjoy many years with it.

Haha, thanks again all (on this thread too). Oh boy, oh boy, now I get to start stabbing my fingers myself - can't wait ;) I already know it's gonna take me 5 min. to get brave enough to poke each time... But at least I'll have a groovy travel case lol.

The ancient CoaguChek shoebox and the really old CoaguChek S use the same strips - CoaguChek PT. These are the strips being discontinued next year.

The XS should have a long life. The XS makes it much easier to get the drop of blood on the strip, so there will be fewer wasted strips. Eventually, I'll probaby have an XS or InRatio 2.

Andy - the fingerstick is really not that big a deal, once you get up the nerve to do it once or twice. I found that using a 21 gauge lancet and the side of the finger, you hardly even feel it. (In fact, a few times I don't even think I did). Just remember to push the lancing device into the fingertip so the lancet has something to go into.

Compared to my ProTime 'tenderlettes' that seem to make a bigger, deeper incision (because the ProTime strips require more blood), the 21 gauge lancets seem almost pain free. After testing for a while, you may find that you almost look forward to it (I sometimes do) -- especially when you consider the control you're giving yourself when you get fast results.

In my experience with my CoaguChek S, I found that, for me, the 21 gauge work best. I've seen some threads here saying that the testing company supplies the lancets.
I've seen some on a thread saying the smaller lancets also work fine. I think it probably depends on the thickness and toughness of your skin and how much blood the meters need to do a good test.

To be sure of a good incision, and to get an adequate supply of blood, personally, I'd probably go with a 21 gauge (which seems to be getting a little hard to find) or a 26 gauge that may be fine. Lancets are pretty cheap - you should be able to find a year or two worth of lancets for just a few bucks. Your XS comes with a lancing device, so all you'll probably need to do is find the lancet size that works best for you.

Latest posts

Back