Can Anyone Recommend an At-Home INR Testing Kit?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy to say ...............

Happy to say ...............

conditions in some parts of Canada are slowly modernizing. Toronto General Hospital offers POC monitors to mechanical valve recipients prior to discharge. They also made a proposal to OHIP for coverage because they feel the costs are prohibiting their use. The selfish part of me makes me feel if users assume all costs then they are more likely to succeed. There is still a lot of opposition to them because it is thought they are grossly inaccurate. We all know better.
Toronto General taught me to use POC and they recommended the Coaguchek. I don't know why--all home monitors are excellent and any brand will do.

One hospital with a cardiac ward is still studying them so I suggested they contact Toronto General for information. That's probably not "politically correct".

Two thumbs up, way up for whichever POC monitor you decide to buy. I'd never go back to lab draws.

What kills me is these people studying things that the Europeans have been using for over a decade. What's to study? I mean come on, lets all put our yo yo's away and get with the program.

Europeans have a lot more liberal healthcare as well. Germany allows for self dosing of coumadin as well! Restrictions in insurance coverage will always cause doctors to become hesitant because they may not get paid. The insurance companies often dictate the quality of healthcare strictly because they will or won't cover certain things. Europe doesn't have to worry about that. That puts care strictly in the docs hands, and doctors know how well POC instruments work. Until the US is like Europe I think we're stuck in a country divided between the future of healthcare, and what they've always known.

It's just another way of saying ..............

It's just another way of saying ..............

What kills me is these people studying things that the Europeans have been using for over a decade. What's to study? I mean come on, lets all put our yo yo's away and get with the program.

we're sitting on our fannies. Let someone else do it for us. We're too busy, etc., etc. It fries my fanny that an untested valve could be marketed and every cardiac wing bought into it. POC monitors are treated like a bad dream. Oh well, such is human nature I guess.
Every monitor on the market is excellent.

Back