Calcified Mitral valve surgery options

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gorkemhazar

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Dear All

Is repairement an option for calcified mitral valve with stenosis. Or pretty much, valve replacement is the only suitable way? It was repaired before due to regurgitation when I was 22. There is still a trace regurgitation but stenosis is progressing. Thank you.

Is repairement an option for calcified mitral valve with stenosis.

Yes, it's an option in the hands of an experienced valve repair surgeon. But as you know, if a 2nd repair is even doable in your case, it may require intervention at some point down the road again.

"If you have many calcium deposits on your valve leaflets or annulus, your surgeon will use advanced surgical techniques. They’ll separate your leaflet from your annulus and remove the calcium deposits. Then, they’ll rebuild the damaged part of your valve using a patch or sutures."
"Your provider will recommend a repair, rather than a replacement, whenever possible. Repair is the better option for nearly everyone with mitral valve regurgitation. And it’s also better for some people with mitral valve stenosis."

Mitral Valve Repair

Yes, it's an option in the hands of an experienced valve repair surgeon. But as you know, if a 2nd repair is even doable in your case, it may require intervention at some point down the road again.

Mitral Valve Repair
Thank you for your valuable feedback. Have you heard if they do non invansive catheter procedure on calcified stenosis valves other an open-heart valvotomy?

Have you heard if they do non invansive catheter procedure on calcified stenosis valves other an open-heart valvotomy?
Sure, there is plenty of information out there re: these procedures. However, you will need to confirm with a surgeon if these minimally invasive procedures are contraindicated in your situation or not as you have had a prior MV repair.

Mitral Valve Minimally Invasive Surgical Treatment
Valvuloplasty
Minimally Invasive Mitral Valve Repair

Yes, I had mitral stenosis (most likely from rheumatic fever) and had a valvuloplasty, they used a balloon threaded through a blood vessel, pierced the septum of the heart, and inflated the balloon in the valve. It’s contraindicated in several situations and is expected to worsen regurgitation. In the right case it’s a great option. I started with severe stenosis and the procedure left me with moderate stenosis and moderate regurgitation, which honestly the cardiologist was pretty disappointed about. But it’s been more or less stable for 21 years so far.

Reactions: V__
Have you heard if they do non invansive catheter procedure on calcified stenosis valves other an open-heart valvotomy?
Just to clarify, all these procedures are invasive as they require cutting, needles, caths, etc. I think you meant minimally invasive procedures. Non invasive is used more in terms for diagnostic testing like MRI, echo, CT scan, etc where no cutting is required.

Back