Bina a question for you

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know Bina will be along to answer this.
However, the mfr of INR tester doesn't matter. After nearly 7 years of home-testing and almost that long in adjusting my dosages, I don't think it matters all that much when you test. Because warfarin is a slow-loading dose, it doesn't appear to matter tremendously if you test at night, noon or morning. Or before or after a meal.

I have an INRatio. I usually test in the morning, after I shower and before dressing, but sometimes it's just whenever. I don't test BEFORE showering, mainly because I want that Grand Canyon :) puncture point to seal. Even with a bandage on it, I don't like putting my hand around hot water for at least an hour or two afterwards.
Some people who adjust their own dosages like to test before taking their meds, so they can make an immediate adjustment if needed.

For those who call in their results, best to test first thing in the morning, then call the results in when your doctor's office opens. If an adjustment is needed, hopefully you'll get a callback by dinnertime. Which for some reason, seems to be "the" time to take warfarin -- for whatever reason. Seems that marching orders upon discharge frequently dictate taking warfarin at night. It's not important what time of the day you take it -- as long as you take it every day at a regular time. I take mine @ breakfast.

Bina -- what you think??

Please don't confuse anticoagulation testing with blood glucose monitoring. What you eat, and when you eat it, won't have immediate effects on your INR like they would for a blood glucose test. (What you eat matters -- if you eat a lot of green, leafy vegetables that are full of Vitamin K, you may see some effects within days or perhaps sooner).
Coumadin is slow acting, and slow to leave the system.

Personally, I take my coumadin before bedtime. It's just the habit that I've gotten into. I don't see much difference whether I take it at 10 PM or at 1 AM (although I try to keep it at around 10 PM).

I've tested at end of day (sometimes around 11 PM, mid-day (3 PM or so), and early morning) and I don't think it really matters. INR testing isn't like blood glucose monitoring, and I don't think there are INR 'swings' regardless of when you test, or when you take your coumadin--although it's probably best to take your coumadin pretty much the same time each day.

I got the feeling, from the way you asked your question, that you may be doing a LOT of testing - as you would if you were testing for blood glucose. There are other threads on this forum discussing this. Once your INR is stabilized, you may only have to test once or twice a month - this depends on a few things - if you are using a service, like Alere, you may be asked to test and report results weekly; your MD may want tests every 2 or 3 weeks, etc. If you have an abnormally high or low reading, you may have to make a small change to your dose and test a few days later. In NO case I can think of (other than heparin prescribed by a doctor, or something, that causes rapid changes) will testing two or three (or more) times a day be of any more value than just a single test.

I take mine in the morning, really for one simple reason: If I were to forget(which almost never happens anymore) I have a better chance of remembering at some point during the day. If I forgot at night, it would be 6 to 8 hours before there was any chance to realize my mistake.

Hi Bonners (Greg) and welcome !
Each of us seems to find our own routine and testing frequency will vary.
Since I have a steady INR and am in range I test every 2 weeks, during a quiet afternoon.
Coumadin should be taken regularly....I prefer to take it with my dinner at 6:30 pm
Using a 7-day pillbox helps me to remember if I have taken it or not, if I somehow forget to take it at dinner, then I notice it later when I take my nightly BP med. See what works for you and stick with it.

Last edited:
I take mine in the morning, really for one simple reason: If I were to forget(which almost never happens anymore) I have a better chance of remembering at some point during the day. If I forgot at night, it would be 6 to 8 hours before there was any chance to realize my mistake.

That's right...taking it at bedtime can be a real annoyance; if the dose is forgotten it will be many hours before it is corrected.

Yes.. and another reason for taking it in the morning is for those of us that home test.
You can test prior to your dose, and adjust if required.

Rob

That's right...taking it at bedtime can be a real annoyance; if the dose is forgotten it will be many hours before it is corrected.

Hey, Rob, that's a good point. For me, I've gotten into the habit of taking my warfarin at night -- I can probably count on the fingers of one hand how many times I've forgotten it in many years.
However, your idea of testing BEFORE taking it is a good one -- although the effects of the adjustment probably won't show up for a few days, anyway.

Latest posts

Back