Anyone use a rower?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Raverlaw

Hi!

I'm awaiting AVR but am trying to plan ahead. I know that I will need to do cardio exercixe to rehab. We have a Nordic Track machine at home now, but I don't really like it and prefer to walk outdoors. Our climate is mild here, so I can go outdoors virtually any day of the year.

I've been thinking about getting a GOOD rowing machine (not one of the hydraulic cylinder types) because I've always liked to row and it seems like a good way to get aerobic exercise and also exercise thigh, abdomen (YES!) and arm/chest/back muscles.

Has anyone had experience with this post OHS? Will the sternotomy keep me from being able to do this for more than, say, eight weeks?

I will be asking my cardio but thought I'd check with this knowledgeable group while I'm waiting.

P.S. Has anyone ever convinced Blue Cross to buy them an exercise machine or pay for club membership?
:p

I used a rower today at Cardiac Rehab (8 weeks post-op). I am convinced it is the home machine of choice. The rehab folks feel the same way. It is just about a total workout, very pleasant (almost enjoyable - half the battle with exercise machines!) and it keeps you involved in a rythmic kind of way. I haven't priced the machine they use, but it looks expensive.

Kenny,

Thanks! Eight weeks isn't too long to wait, and that's encouraging that you can handle it that soon.

Good rowers cost between $1,000.00 and $2,000.00 depending on the resistance mechanism, the noise level you can tolerate, and how many electronic doo-dads you want to have.

I'll post some links to manufacturers here soon if anyone is interested. I'd love to get my cardio to prescribe one for me so I can bug BC to pay for it.

Bill,

A postscript - I asked if I should shoot for the same numbers next time and the RN said "Let's see how you feel tomorrow"

I might be looking for left over Vicodin in the morning!

I used a rower 'briefly' (5 to 10 minutes each visit) during the latter part of my rehab which started at 12 weeks post op.

It REALLY gets your HR up in a hurry !

'AL'

Ready! Set! Row!

Ready! Set! Row!

Bill:

Check out concept2.com.

I was introduced to it in cardio-rehab also. I have my own.
However, the manner it is used there is really just the opposite
of the proper method to achieve a proper workout. Rowing on the
Concept2 is a 'learned skill.' Can be used with a heart monitor.
It is truly a total body workout! I row 45 minutes to hour
regularly. Especially over the winter.

C2 manufacture the world's #1 recognized on-the-water simulator. It is a training device for racing sculls not row boats.
U.S. Olympic team, major college racing teams all use the C2
YOU CAN ONLY BUY DIRECT FROM THE FACTORY.

In-door rowing is actually a sport. World Championships are to
be to held in Boston next month.

The web site is very detailed and informative.
If you have the time--look up the CHALLENGES on the left side of the home page. I'm listed on some of the honor boards-most recently achieved 200,000 meters, that's 124 miles, in the HOLIDAY CHALLENGE that ran from Thanksgiving to Christmas.
They have a terrific Training Forum where you share experiences.

How's my AVR you ask? SOLID LIKE A ROCK!

If you have questions, it is better that you send me a P.M.
My time to be on VR.COM is really limited these days.

My best to everyone---a rare family of great people indeed.

Joe

The Concept 2 is the model I used in rehab - I went to the site and it's $850, much less than I thought.

So, you think insurance will pay for it...???

The Concept 2 is the one I had decided to purchase, for several reasons. Just a few months ago, I saw a used one advertised in the local paper for $200.00, but when I called, it was already sold.

I definitely was looking for a natural shell rowing simulator (before I was thinking of cardio rehab!) and that's what I still want, even though I'm going to row for slightly different reasons.

Hey, maybe competing in indoor rowing will be my new post-op sport. Do they have a category for OHS survivors? :p

Dunno much about rowing machines but they're great for cardiac rehab.

My favorite stations during rehab were the treadmill and the rower, if only there was a TV or at least a nice view to watch while on the machine.

My view was of an exercise bike....

They are a pretty good workout and you have to keep an eye on how high your heart rate goes while you're on it. They also may not be the easiest thing to stop in a hurry if you're having trouble, more so if you happen to lose your balance some how (lightheadedness)

Overall though I think they're well worth it.

I just found out that the place where I went for rehab allows former patients to come in when they want for a nominal fee (about $4.00 a session) and use the equipment. You can use a small machine to get your blood pressure and heart rate and record that in a chart that's kept in a file for you. You have access to all the equipment for as long as you want to use it, provided one of the regular patients isn't on it or waiting for it.

I'm gonna try and start going again since I'd like to have the regular exercise going, sure beats paying for a $2,000+ rowing machine that I'd have no space for in my house!!!

Latest posts

Back