Any tips to make the process as comfortable as possible?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobados

Hi,
I'm going in this week, April 2nd for my 4th OHS and was curious if anybody has any tips or things they've learned to make this as easy as it can possibly be. My last one was 13 years ago.
One thing I decided to do this time is to shave my arms so the tape and bandages from Ivs doesn't hurt as much when removed.

So anybody have any tips for me that they've picked up? It's getting close and the anxiety is starting to amp up

Kimchi as a side dish with your meals. Gets the bowels going and is less disturbing than the hospital solutions :)

pellicle;n854864 said:
Kimchi as a side dish with your meals. Gets the bowels going and is less disturbing than the hospital solutions :)

And if kimchi is not readily available, Miralax is your friend. Remember that all the pain meds, both while in hospital and at home, can wreak havoc on the smooth operation of your digestive system. Mine got so "bound up" after surgery that I was re-admitted to the hospital at 4 weeks to get it resolved. That one complication probably cost me a couple of weeks on the path to recovery.

Old fashioned prune juice works good too. It's the narcotics that get you. After about day 3 at home, I started substituting an acetaminophen for a narcotic pain pill and weaned myself off them quicker than previous operations.

I had trouble reading for awhile. For me, Netflix was a godsend. I watched the whole Ken Burns Civil War series (can't remember it all but it was interesting) plus just about every Law and Order and the Sarah Conner Chronicles.

Regular naps, about an hour in the day and afternoon. Just a nap in the chair helps, it's hard to sleep in bed for any long time for about the first month.

Latest posts

Back