Afraid to go #2

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John_MiG-19

I am constipated and frankly I'm afraid of dissection if I strain going to the rest room. Any feedback. Sorry it's such an uncouth topic.

I saw from another post of yours that you are close to surgery. Check with your doctor. Eat prunes, drink water, and walk around some. You don't need this before surgery. Good luck!

Hey John

I don't think that sort oft straining will blow your fofoo valve:) i reckon you'll be fine.

As always I recommend KimChi. Get some down at your local Korean grocery shop. Its not really spicy but that cabbage and touch of chilli will keep you regular.

I guarantee it

Take some with you to hospital, leave it in the fridge in the room. It will be good to have after surgery when you will also get gummed up. You don't want the hospital solutions to that I can assure you.

:)

See if you can rent / download a Japanese "pink" movie called "Weather Woman"

Look for the scene "ohayogozaimasu fetish-san"

:)

If that's anything like Bukake- I'd pass (get it pass)- I am a fan of Takashi Miike for some reson when I read your post his "Visitor Q" came to mind.....

Two over-the-counter suggestions come to mind. After surgery I had such profound constipation that at the 4 week post-op point I had to be re-admitted to the hospital to get it resolved. They gave me a dose of magnesium citrate. This is a liquid, industrial-strength laxative that can be purchased at the drugstore. You just open the single serving bottle and drink it. I could only get down about half the bottle (the taste was nasty), but it really worked! After that success, they sent me home with instructions to take Miralax (another over-the-counter laxative) per package label dosage, daily. Once things began to return to normal, they told me to taper off the Miralax, taking half a dose for a few days, then one-fourth of a dose, then none. After that, they recommended a stool softener as required.

Unfortunately, although all of the docs and medical staff know that the meds given during and after surgery can cause really nasty constipation, they don't have any way to know in advance which patients will be most severely affected.

I don't want to scare you, but in my case the situation was so bad that it caused a tiny abdominal hernia to enlarge, eventually requiring surgical correction about a year later.

Be sure to drink plenty of fluids, as often post-op diuretics can dehydrate you.

Ask your doc about mag citrate. That was the fastest and most certain relief for that problem that I've ever had. No lingering after effects, either. (Although there may have been some lingering after effects for the poor nurse on duty. I still remember her walking past the bathroom door and exclaiming "Oh, my god!") ;-))

Also, remember that even this is quite common. The topic comes up for discussion a couple of times a year and people are warned about the possibility, but then it drifts off the radar screen until some other poor soul falls into it.

epstns;n852835 said:
Two over-the-counter suggestions come to mind. ... That was the fastest and most certain relief for that problem that I've ever had. No lingering after effects, either.

still no other takers for KimChi I see ... personally I'v had almost always the same after effects from all the "evactuators" I've tried (or been given). After the "dump" there is a half a day of the lower colon equivalent of "dry retching" ... where I go to the toilet feelinl like I'm going to have a bowel movement, and it does all the activities but with nothing to shift (except a drop or two of something unspeakable). Its associated with the same sort of gastro uncomfort as is the difference between emptying one's stomach and dry retching.

One of those had me doing this on and off for hours.

I resolved from that point to stick with Kim Chi which if eaten in a small side dish lunch and dinner will keep you "regular"

I even have it with a beer in the afternoons after work.

... and yes, its Kosher as its only vegetables.

Being an alcoholic in recovery- I'm an expert in dry retching. The closest thing to Kim-Chi we have here is Chow Chow- Which I love. Wish I could get Kim-Chi because I'll will try anything new once...

I'm sure it's unlikely, but it's not an unreasonable fear. George II of Britain died on the toilet of an aortic dissection. I recommend Magnesium Citrate.

You should be aware that constipation following heart surgery is extremely common. I'm sure your hospital will have some things to help you out.

That was one of the strange things in my week in the hospital, such a big deal out of a 'movement'. I was almost expecting my Mom to say " Chris made a boom-boom!"

Latest posts

Back