56 years clicking!!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats Dick. I’m 15 years and still clicking with a St Jude mechanical. Ex wife wished me dead at implant but I lived to spite her. I’ll have to live to 110 to match your record but I’m certain I will be an outlier on the life expectancy statistics too.

Congrats Dick. I’m 15 years and still clicking with a St Jude mechanical. Ex wife wished me dead at implant but I lived to spite her. I’ll have to live to 110 to match your record but I’m certain I will be an outlier on the life expectancy statistics too.
Ouch! Is she one of those who wondered how you could have the nerve to burden her with your health issues?

Joe DiMaggio had his 56-game hitting streak, and you have your 56-year valve streak. Not sure which is more impressive, but damn sure which is more inspirational. Congratulations.

@dick0236, please correct me if I am remembering this wrong, but the only reason that you are not in the Guinness Book for the longest lived valve is that you could not show evidence from the hosptital, in that they don't keep medical records that long.

It would seem that there must be some way to show them evidence. It would be cool to have you in the Guinness Book officially, even though we here know that you have the record. You could then add to your signature block "World Champ" :)

@dick0236, please correct me if I am remembering this wrong, but the only reason that you are not in the Guinness Book for the longest lived valve is that you could not show evidence from the hosptital, in that they don't keep medical records that long.
Chuck, thanks for your interest. I could write a book on the difficulties of getting old, old medical records. Remember, my surgery was the olden days of paper files and typewriters. The only record that was found was the "Operative Record" .....a one-page document that outlined the various procedures of the surgery. The only mention of the valve is "The valve was entirely excised, the route was measured and a #9 Starr-Edwards valve was the proper size"......that report spent more time explaining the wire size (#20) used to close the sternum than on the heart surgery itself. I did learn that the "sponge count was verified" which makes me feel better knowing they didn't leave a sponge in me.

I did make an inquiry from Guiness and after reviewing the required info I just said "It's not worth it" and never pursued it.

That is why I tell the new folks to get and keep, any records they may need..... four or five decades from now.

Back