52 year old choosing between mechanical and bioprosthetic valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CONT: My fingers somehow pressed something causing the remark to send. Anywho, the warfarin that I take has not changed since I was discharged from the hospital almost 3 months ago now. 3mg daily and am checking at this time 3 weeks to a month as told to do by the INR police. Hope I helped and not confused you to much, Thanx, Tank

Thank you to everyone who has responded, for sharing your experiences and your thoughts. My surgery is tomorrow--October 28. I've chosen to go with a mechanical valve, if a repair isn't possible. I'll know which way it went after the surgery. I just wasn't ready to sign up for surgery again, possibly twice more. Thank you all again for your generosity.

Thanks for all the good thoughts and words. Following surgery on Oct. 28, and about four post-surgery days in the hospital, I got home last night, and spent the night in my own bed. I did end up with a mechanical valve, as repair proved not to be an option. All went well. I'm physically recovering as best I can in these early days-- walking up and down stairs successfully, exciting things like that. Soon today I'll walk outside. Next, I guess, it's time to figure out the Coumadin. I've taken it three days, and a visiting nurse will come today to do my first home draw.

Adjusting also to hearing the valve at quiet times, like in bed at night. I guess the hospital was noisy enough that I never heard it there. And just generally feeling shaky about things. Somehow starting without symptoms gives me the illusion that I just became sick--not true, but it feels that way for now. Again, thanks to all, and perhaps I'll see you on other forums as I explore.

I remember feeling "generally shaky " post surgery also and it passed . I also remember my valve being louder even though it was repaired but over time it's gotten back to normal. I know you have a mechanical so it'll be a little louder than before but my point is I think everyone's is louder immediately after surgery and over time as things heal it'll get quieter.

nohohamp;n860037 said:
Thanks for all the good thoughts and words. Following surgery on Oct. 28, and about four post-surgery days in the hospital, I got home last night, and spent the night in my own bed. I did end up with a mechanical valve, as repair proved not to be an option. All went well. I'm physically recovering as best I can in these early days-- walking up and down stairs successfully, exciting things like that. Soon today I'll walk outside. Next, I guess, it's time to figure out the Coumadin. I've taken it three days, and a visiting nurse will come today to do my first home draw.

Adjusting also to hearing the valve at quiet times, like in bed at night. I guess the hospital was noisy enough that I never heard it there. And just generally feeling shaky about things. Somehow starting without symptoms gives me the illusion that I just became sick--not true, but it feels that way for now. Again, thanks to all, and perhaps I'll see you on other forums as I explore.

Congrats, sounds like another good job by dr flack and Baystate? If you have any concerns, call Mary the NP at his office, she is awesome! Just try to enjoy these bonus days we have been given!

ALLBETTERNOW!;n860056 said:
Congrats, sounds like another good job by dr flack and Baystate? If you have any concerns, call Mary the NP at his office, she is awesome! Just try to enjoy these bonus days we have been given!

That's right - Baystate! I have a lot of respect for the Baystate Medical system. That is also where my daughter went for her OB, Labor & Delivery, and for infant care for my grandson. After a couple of rough times, that group turned out to be excellent - especially in a "small town" (compared to Chicago).

nohohamp - I'm glad to hear that you're back home and on the mend. I remember those first weeks. I, too, was shaky and afraid of my shadow. It passes, as does the annoyance in trying to regulate INR. Although I have a tissue valve, I took warfarin for my first few months as a precautionary, and mine was a real challenge to manage. By the time we got it under control, I was no longer taking it.

epstns;n860066 said:
That's right - Baystate! I have a lot of respect for the Baystate Medical system. That is also where my daughter went for her OB, Labor & Delivery, and for infant care for my grandson. After a couple of rough times, that group turned out to be excellent - especially in a "small town" (compared to Chicago).

nohohamp - I'm glad to hear that you're back home and on the mend. I remember those first weeks. I, too, was shaky and afraid of my shadow. It passes, as does the annoyance in trying to regulate INR. Although I have a tissue valve, I took warfarin for my first few months as a precautionary, and mine was a real challenge to manage. By the time we got it under control, I was no longer taking it.

they have a great neo natal unit and their cardiac unit is excellent. They have to compete with the mega centers in Boston so are pushed to be excellent and answer the call many times. it is a great resource in an otherwise rural area and it is nice to save the trip into Boston to get top notch care. Boston has some great hospitals but getting and stayin there is worse than NYC. many many people from my area end up getting life saving helicopter rides to Baystate for advanced emergency treatment that can't be done here locally.

My INR got in range on the 91st day but I was off it that day.."

Latest posts

Back