4 days post op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite the experience! Not all bad at all just quite a time of emotions. Let me first say I'm a Christian, my faith is in Jesus Christ. I'm not a bible pounder or an in you're face Christian, but I have strong beliefs. I say this because it matters. When you have faith and put it all in Gods hands, an amazing calm will come over you.
Surgery was scheduled for 1:00 last Thursday to for AVR and small aorta replacement above root. Surgeon came in and we talked again about what was going to happen. He said they are wrapping up in OR, you will b next up.
He's checking his email and kind of hanging out, returning a few phone calls in the nurses station, then gets a call and I hear him say "open back up, I'll be back in a second" he walked out and said it may be awhile.
Awhile it was, about 3 hours later I finally see people from my team. I made sure they were all ready I could tell they had a long day. Everyone assured me they were energizizer bunnies and this is what they did not unusual. I remember kissing my wife and being wheeled into OR about 4:30. Slid into table was introduced to everyone, they all rushed up to me and lights out!! All the way through complete calm. That's where the faith comes back in..
Wife said I was out about 11:30 and it was quite a shock to see me all covered up hooked up and shaking because I was cold. They replaced with St Jude Regnant mechincial valve, and small piece of aorta above root. When he got in he was not satisfied with ascending aorta, so he replaced that up to the arch.
I woke up at 4:30 and don't remember breathing tube at all, guy told me to cough, I did and it came out. No issues at all. I remember people coming in about 30 minutes later and I was trying to take care of my family telling them to go home and get rest.
Spent Friday in ICU, just chest soreness no pain until that afternoon, took couple pain meds got up and walked. Nurses said I was a boring patient, was proud of that.
Was released out of ICU Sat morning but bed wasn't avalible, I walked a couple times a day. Moved me Saturday afternoon and chest tubes came out Sunday morning. Wow that makes all the difference. Those things were almost up to my shoulders. Unbelievable. Walked again today and got to come home at noon. Everything normal and vitals good. Going to monitor blood thinner and rest.
Overall yes it's a major surgery. It kicks your butt. But being in good shape and having faith is key. Go to a good high volume hospital. Find a surgeon that has major experience. Vanderbilt is awesome if you are close, I highly recommend.

Glad everything went well for you! Hope your recovery goes as smooth as your surgery did!

Latest posts

Back