30-Year Anniversary of First OHS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnycake23

Two-time AVR Vet
Hard to believe it's been 30 years since my first valve surgery. That one was for an aortic valve repair to address aortic insufficiency for a bicuspid valve. I was four days shy of my 27th birthday (right before I got wheeled in to the OR the crew sang Happy Birthday to me) and I remember when talking to the surgeon, my biggest worry was "will I have a scar"? Ahh, to be so young and carefree. Truth is, that was one event that I use to delineate my life: How things were before that surgery, and how they've been since; kind of like remembering life before you could drive or being single vs. married.

Now I'm coming up on my 57th birthday. I have two OHSs under my belt, and a different perspective on life. Truth is, if I was born just 20 years prior, I probably wouldn't be typing this now. So after 30 years of being an OHS patient, the one word I can use to describe how I feel is "grateful."

Just thought I'd share.

I’ve got the scar with 3 OHS and it is fascinating to see the last scar that healed amazingly well on top of the keloidal mass from my first scar. Also, the lumps / wires / calcification (?) gives my sternum a lot of - texture? 😅

I’ve got the scar with 3 OHS and it is fascinating to see the last scar that healed amazingly well on top of the keloidal mass from my first scar. Also, the lumps / wires / calcification (?) gives my sternum a lot of - texture?

Good news on the scar tissue, as I have a keloid mass almost the size of a golf ball at the bottom of my surgical cut. Using "texture" to describe the scar, well, that's one way to put it.

I know I comparison to the OHS this a small thing . Are there anyways to get rid of the scars especially the keloid ones

Kinda wondering the same myself. My op was almost 2 years ago and the scar has healed amazingly well except for about 1 and a half inches at the bottom. It's not the end of the world or anything but it's kinda raised and pink. Feels like 4 little bumps when I run my finger over it. I tried Bio Oil on it but it didn't really do much for mine I don't think.

Kinda wondering the same myself. My op was almost 2 years ago and the scar has healed amazingly well except for about 1 and a half inches at the bottom. It's not the end of the world or anything but it's kinda raised and pink. Feels like 4 little bumps when I run my finger over it. I tried Bio Oil on it but it didn't really do much for mine I don't think.
I think bio oil makes it worst. I did that mistake post first surgery .

Back