1 Year Anniversary

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CadenJohn

It's been one year since I've had my ON-X mechanical aortic valve implanted by the Cleveland Clinic (Thank you Dr. Pettersson!). I was 38 years old when I had this surgery which turned out to be a huge success.

One year later, I feel amazing. Absolutely NO regrets about getting a mechanical valve. The coumadin is no big deal at all. I don't find it to be a burden nor do I have any side effects.

I feel like a powerful machine with my fixed valve. I work out hard (cardio and weights), play with my 2 little boys hard, and my performance at work has never been better. My lifestyle is improved.

I remember the day after the surgery Dr. Pettersson (whom I think is one of the worlds best cardiac surgeons) looked at me and said: "This valve should last you forever". I hope he is right!

Note: I had a surgery back in 1982 where the valve was repaired. Now, obviously, it's replaced with a Mechanical valve.

Hi
Glad to hear of your success after a year. I guess with all the angst over warfarin here that it might also be good to discuss in a wee bit more detail what you do and how you tested.

Its also a little over a since I had my valve redone too. I also had a "ticker" fitted (although mine was an ATS) and the valve is doing well.

Somewhat like you I also had a valve repair done but the next operation after that was a tissue (human tissue) valve. So perhaps its not as straightforward (a choice to go mechanical next) as your writing implied

My own situation has proven a wee more complicated with a minor infection getting into the wires at the beginning of the procedure and laying semi dormant semi irritated since then.

My warfarin dose has been set with veinus blood samples taken by an agency and them determining INR and then dosing. It has been slightly inconvenient and needed me to "steer their dose" myself a little.

Always good to hear of success stories.

Speaking as one who was quite anxious about a mechanical and all that implied, I now wish they'd done that back in 1992. Although I guess then I would not have the pyrolytic carbon one that I have now. From what I can tell these new valves are quite a bit more promising than the older ones.

pellicle,
The INR testing that is performed on me is very straight forward. Every month (or so), I go to a local coumadin clinic to get my INR levels tested. It only takes 15 minutes out of my very busy schedule. They have me regulated very well. It took a couple of months for them to me the right dosage, but after that it has been fairly predictable. I am going to supplement the testing with home testing.

In terms of choosing a mechanical valve, it was a very easy choice for me. I spoke with several surgeons from top rated hospitals that also thought a mechanical was the right choice for me. I personally know three people that work for the same company I do, and they all have mechanical valves. They have the St. Judes valve, and have had no issues. They all have had their valves for more than 10 years.

I am really sorry to hear about your infection. Hopefully that is the last issue you have, and you can move on in life with your new valve.

Regards,
CadenJohn

Hi
Glad to hear of your success after a year. I guess with all the angst over warfarin here that it might also be good to discuss in a wee bit more detail what you do and how you tested.

Its also a little over a since I had my valve redone too. I also had a "ticker" fitted (although mine was an ATS) and the valve is doing well.

Somewhat like you I also had a valve repair done but the next operation after that was a tissue (human tissue) valve. So perhaps its not as straightforward (a choice to go mechanical next) as your writing implied

My own situation has proven a wee more complicated with a minor infection getting into the wires at the beginning of the procedure and laying semi dormant semi irritated since then.

My warfarin dose has been set with veinus blood samples taken by an agency and them determining INR and then dosing. It has been slightly inconvenient and needed me to "steer their dose" myself a little.

Always good to hear of success stories.

Speaking as one who was quite anxious about a mechanical and all that implied, I now wish they'd done that back in 1992. Although I guess then I would not have the pyrolytic carbon one that I have now. From what I can tell these new valves are quite a bit more promising than the older ones.

Hi

pellicle,
The INR testing that is performed on me is very straight forward. Every month (or so), I go to a local coumadin clinic to get my INR levels tested. It only takes 15 minutes out of my very busy schedule.

No such thing exists in Australia where I live. Consider it one of the advantages of where you live

Here I go to a QML (Queensland Medical Laboratories)
collection center where I often wait for about an hour all up.

They have me regulated very well. It took a couple of months for them to me the right dosage, but after that it has been fairly predictable. I am going to supplement the testing with home testing.

At best mine has been fortnight tests and the wallies still fuss over it with tiny changes to dose.

I think that I will be going down the home testing pathway soon.

In terms of choosing a mechanical valve, it was a very easy choice for me.

Sorry we seem to have got wires crossed in terms of my comment. I intended to remark on only that your situation as expressed was not a QED that it would be mechanical.
My own view these days is that unless contraindicated by other factors that a mechanical is now my preference to avoid reoperation risks.

They have the St. Judes valve, and have had no issues. They all have had their valves for more than 10 years.

I quite agree, the mechanical have excellent failure rates (meaning as far as in know there has only been one failure, and that in itself was cause for a journal article!)

Anyway the reason I am discussing this is not to disagree with you, but to add points of consideration for other readers who may as yet not have their surgery. These conversations are often returned by google searching

:)

Thanks also for the kind wishes

Congrats on your first year anniversary. I will be meeting my surgeon soon to discuss my options. I need AVR & AR repair.
My research says that my surgeon favors the ON-X valve. I now favor mechanical. Although initially I was solidly for a tissue valve.
I wonder if my surgeon will do the ON-X Valsalva- valve and aortic repair? I am curious as to what sound does your valve make? Someone on another post described it as a quiet chime. Are you aware of the sound of your ON-X valve.....or now having had it a year do you find it acoustically transparent?
I find it comforting that you are adjusted well to the need for coumadin. I am sure it is reassuring to others like my self who are in the pre-surgery valve selection quandary of which way to go tissue or mechanical.

The valve does make a soft gentle quiet ticking sound. I don't notice it......just like breathing. It becomes part of your natural being. This and coumadin are no big deal at all. simple stuff.

Congrats on your first year anniversary. I will be meeting my surgeon soon to discuss my options. I need AVR & AR repair.
My research says that my surgeon favors the ON-X valve. I now favor mechanical. Although initially I was solidly for a tissue valve.
I wonder if my surgeon will do the ON-X Valsalva- valve and aortic repair? I am curious as to what sound does your valve make? Someone on another post described it as a quiet chime. Are you aware of the sound of your ON-X valve.....or now having had it a year do you find it acoustically transparent?
I find it comforting that you are adjusted well to the need for coumadin. I am sure it is reassuring to others like my self who are in the pre-surgery valve selection quandary of which way to go tissue or mechanical.

What a great post. Happy 1st, and to many more. Also, great job on exercising and playing hard, that's what I call an great life-style.

Back