Patient survey New patient education video Facebook Twitter www.onxlti.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mechanical Valve Clicking

My daughter has a Carbomedics 23mm valve and it varies in sound level. Sometimes we hear it sometimes we don't. We did put in a small aquarium with a pump in her room to help drowned out the sound of the valve for her at night. This is something her cardiologist suggested so my mom did it while she was still in the hospital. Overall the sound does not bother her.

Best wishes to you.

I am three weeks removed from Aortic Valve replacement and my aortic sinuses/root system (3 weeks today). I hear the clicking and it drives me nuts (St. Jude). I am 56 years old and after careful consideration and knowing I will be on Coumadin for the rest of my life, I could not bear the thought I may have to have my chest cracked open again in 10-15 years if I had gone with the cow or pig tissue. At my age it became the overriding factor and will learn to deal with the ticking
    AndyR

I am three weeks removed from Aortic Valve replacement and my aortic sinuses/root system (3 weeks today). I hear the clicking and it drives me nuts (St. Jude). I am 56 years old and after careful consideration and knowing I will be on Coumadin for the rest of my life, I could not bear the thought I may have to have my chest cracked open again in 10-15 years if I had gone with the cow or pig tissue. At my age it became the overriding factor and will learn to deal with the ticking
    AndyR

Quote Originally Posted by Otieboomie View Post
    I am three weeks removed from Aortic Valve replacement and my aortic sinuses/root system (3 weeks today). I hear the clicking and it drives me nuts (St. Jude). g
    Its early days yet. It should settle down in a few months. When you have more on your mind you notice it less.

Of course you can always choose to focus on it.

Did you read that study posted by old man emu?

Best wishes for a good recovery

I have a St. Jude's, had surgery in January 2013. It's often loud. But I can even feel my chest move from the beats of my heart. Ticking clocks and what not haven not normally bothered me, and I sleep with a fan on so, it doesn't stop me from sleeping. However, I kind of swear this valve has contributed to my tintinitis. I think I hear it ringing via the blood in my vessels.

My Medtronic OpenPivot valve doesn't sound clicky at all, except when using a stethoscope. No one else has been able to hear it, and to me it's more of a thump. The first week after surgery it was loud and annoying. I'm seven weeks out now, and under normal circumstances (like right now, sitting at work), I have to concentrate to feel it. Certain body positions make it more prominent, and taking a deep breath makes it pretty noticeable. Overall, I'm *VERY* pleased with the noise, or lack thereof.
    Diagnosed in 1974 with bicuspid aortic valve - Surgery on July 26th, 2013 - received Medtronic OpenPivot machanical valve, plus aortic root graft

I have a ON X large one..Did a lot of checking around Think that was the best. INR level Surgeon wants it 2-3 Self check at home every 2 weeks. My surgery was over 4 years ago. Valve is fairly quiet do hear it once in while, Doesn't last long. If I had to do it over would still choose the ON-X. dl_mooney
    Mitral Valve replacement OnX (31-33) on Aug.10 2009, CMH Ventura Ca.

Correction: my wife said she could hear it clicking last night. It wasn't loud, and didn't last long, but I was surprised since I can't even hear it (I feel/hear a thump). I must have been laying in a very particular position.
    Diagnosed in 1974 with bicuspid aortic valve - Surgery on July 26th, 2013 - received Medtronic OpenPivot machanical valve, plus aortic root graft

Hi,

I have an ATS and am around a similar age - 55 on Saturday. I rarely hear it and when I do it's strangely comforting. Like you pre-surgery I was worried the clicking would drive me nuts - not so. I'm not a big guy - 68 kilos and was worried being slight would make it all the more louder - again, not so. My valve was only put in 15 weeks ago and has become my new best friend.

Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by kenkahle View Post
    I am 52 years old and am facing AVR surgery next month at the Mayo and have chosen to go with a mechanical valve due to my age. I am trying to determine which valve to go with and have come up with the following list: Regent (St. Jude), On-X, Open Pivot (ATS - Medtronic), Top Hat (Carbomedics).

However, I do fear the fact that they make a clicking sound when opening and closing. This could be quite bothersome to me as I can't stand the sound of clocks that tick tock!
    Let your surgeon choose the valve. When I first met with surgeon, we agreed on On-X valve; however, I ended up with a St Jude Regent. Something about he On-X not sitting right in me, so he switched.

I rarely hear the valve. I sleep on my side and that's the only time I hear it, and it's not loud at all. Most of the time it sounds like it's in another room, and I can's stand the sound of a ticking clock either, but this is nothing even near annoying. My native valve was in such poor shape it made a lot more noise than this one does.

From what I've heard, the St Jude Masters are noisy, but that's an older valve and there's probably no reason to use it.

Thanks again for all of the replies. I am still strongly considering the ATS Open Pivot valve as it sounds like it is very quiet. I did extensive research on the others i previously mentioned and they all rate about the same - depends on which article/dr. is speaking...

Hi

to the OP
    Quote Originally Posted by Luana View Post
    Let your surgeon choose the valve. When I first met with surgeon, we agreed on On-X valve; however, I ended up with a St Jude Regent. Something about he On-X not sitting right in me, so he switched.
    I couldn't agree more. If you took an expensive piece of electronics to a technician would you be telling him which parts? Do you really know as much as them?

I also researched and wrote my surgeon a letter saying that I had identified the On-X and would like that but if for any reason he saw fit to use another valve then I would defer to his judgment and experience.

On the day he put an ATS in there because in his opinion it was a better match with the needs.

I rarely hear the valve. I sleep on my side and that's the only time I hear it, and it's not loud at all.
    its interesting how different the things all are. I sleep on my back and my valve is noisier to me that way so now I sleep on my side. I'm told I snore less that way ... so its got other side effect benefits

:-)

I got my St. Jude 22 years ago. It was loud, I could hear the clicking.

I couldn't play hide-and-seek with my daughter, because she could hear me when I was standing on the other side of a door.

I had some fun with it -- when in a press conference a person in front of me kept looking behind him, visibly annoyed. I tried my best to 'aim' my click at him -- and after a while, he turned around and shouted 'Who's got the cheap watch?' I told him that it was my heart valve clicking. You could have scraped that idiot up off the floor - he was rather embarrassed, to say the least.

I once got a cheap Mickey Mouse watch -- loud ticks - my wife thought that I was having a heart attack. I didn't wind that watch again.

After all these years, I don't seem to hear the click any more - unless I really try to hear it. I don't know the exact reason that the click doesn't seem as audible -- but my cardio seems to think that I'm okay.

My wife never minded the ticking - to her, it was the gift that kept me alive.

Even if ticking drives you nuts, what's the alternative? If you're like most of us, you WILL get used to it. Like many of us, you may even stop noticing it.

And, as others have said, it's probably best to leave the choice of valves to the surgeon -- he or she should be able to best determine which one is right for you.

After nearly eight years I rarely notice my St Jude. Now and then I notice it and when I do I just offer thanks for the technology that is available ... whatever you choose it will right for you
    No shoes, no shirt, no problem
    AVR with Ablation -St Jude Mechanical--2006
    ~Easy Does It~

The early bird get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Protimenow View Post

I had some fun with it -- when in a press conference a person in front of me kept looking behind him, visibly annoyed. I tried my best to 'aim' my click at him -- and after a while, he turned around and shouted 'Who's got the cheap watch?' I told him that it was my heart valve clicking. You could have scraped that idiot up off the floor - he was rather embarrassed, to say the least.
    OMG!!! That's very funny! - Good for you!!!
    July 15, 2011 -- OHS
    Aortic Valve Replacement (Edwards 3300TFX) and Ascending Aortic Aneurysm Repair

as others have said, it's probably best to leave the choice of valves to the surgeon
    My surgeon told me that he would NOT tell me which valve to go with. As it turns out, we both preferred the same one (OpenPivot), but he made it clear that the choice was mine, and that I was free to change my mind at any point before they started pumping in the night-night juice. That freedom may have been illusory, however, if he could have just switched valves on his own after opening me up.

The older St Jude valves, Masters, are more noisy than the newer ones, Regent, at least that's what I've heard. I rarely hear my Regent.

It would be interesting to know how the same model mechanical valve can be noisy in one person, and much quieter in another. Does it have something to do with body habitus?

I have two St. Jude's mechanical valves. I rarely hear them!
    Eva

Aortic & Mitral valves replaced with St. Jude Mechanical valves @ age 57 on 9/2/08

INR home tester/Coagucheck

Forum Rules: " .... medical opinions expressed in this forum are the personal opinions of individuals. No person should at any time
    act on the information contained herein without the express consent of your own physician."

I have had a StJudes since 1999. Faint clicking at first but no sound for years. Must be working as I am still here! Never had a problem with the Coumadin/warfarin routine. Just a pain to have to always get tested. Good luck and God bless!
    Sunshine Susan

Default Re: Mechanical Valve Clicking

I can hear my St.Jude Regent at night when it's quiet. It doesn't bother me. I found that wearing earplugs at night helps.
    Sten Osis (aka Mike Geitner)
    21mm St. Jude, installed June 10, 2013 by Dr. Paul Werner - St. Luke's Medical Center Milwaukee, Wi.

Repetitious sounds drive my wife crazy, and my St. Judes doesn't bother her at all. When I ask if she can hear it, she says she can.
    The thumping goes away after a little while.
    Diagnosed with a bicuspid aortic valve at age 25.
    Replaced with a St. Judes mechanical valve on 12-20-11
    by the Mayo Clinic at age 47.