Patient survey New patient education video Facebook Twitter www.onxlti.com

Thread: Question...if you are on warfarin can you take any cold or flu OTC meds?

Default Question...if you are on warfarin can you take any cold or flu OTC meds?

With my little set back of pneumonia and slight lung issue I have thought of what OTC medication can be used to treat the common cold or the flu?

Since this came to me after the seeing the surgeon today I will ask my cardio next week. Now I'm on antibotics so it's not an issue but what about a common ailment. I was hoping to get some feedback from those of you that have been on the warfarin for a while so I can stock up my medicine for what I can take as opposed to the usual OTC that I keen on hand. I've done a little on line research and Im more confused than when I started.

Jen

I take Claritin during the day and Dristan at bedtime.
    Laughter is the Best Medicine

MVR March 30/07 Carbomedics Valve - Said and done in 5 days - Shocked & Dumbfounded
    I've learned..That to ignore the facts does not change the facts

When I feel a cold coming on, I always take super echinacea and astragalus liquid. Never had a problem with my INR.

Brigham and Women Hopsital -Dr.Shekar OHS- June 1,09
    AVR-St.Jude Mechanical Valve. (25VAVGJ-515)
    Ascending/Transverse Arch Aortic Replacement

Nelson

Most, but not all, OTC meds can be taken by warfarin users. I have found that a licensed pharmacist is a good source for advice on possible interactions or potential INR problems.
    Starr-Edwards mechanical AVR 1967 at age 31.....University of Kentucky Med. Ctr., Dr. Richard Wood & Dr. Gordon Danielson surgeons. No surgery (heart or otherwise) since. On Warfarin ACT since surgery. No diet, lifestyle, or activity restrictions....and I live one day at a time.

You can. You just have to make sure it doesn't have aspirin or any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory in it like ibuprofen. Unless you're also on blood-pressure medication, then you have to stay away from decongestants such as pseudoephederine and phenylephrine.*

*per my lovely wife and licensed pharmacist.
    10/15/2009 - St. Jude Medical Valve / Conduit Graft 25mm. Dr. Robert Hooker Jr at Meijer Heart Center, Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital, Grand Rapids, MI.

September 2009 - diagnosed with 4.9 cm ascending aorta with two aneurysm bulges.

11/21/1990 - St. Jude Medical Valve 23A-101. Dr. Seong Chi at Ingham Regional Medical Center, Lansing, MI.

Aortic Stenosis and BAV diagnosed in infancy.

Thank you all so much.

Jen, sometimes the best approach is to take only a single action type of med;
    for example if you would be coughing up phlegm, then take an expectorant. If you would be having a
    dry hacking cough, then a cough suppressant may be taken.
    Decongestants are to be taken with caution if you are on any BP or BB meds, not a good mix.
    Any multi-symptom cold meds usually have Aspirin or Ibuprofen, watch out for those with warfarin.
    My doc and pharmacist have given the same cautions but I haven't needed any cold meds, thankfully.
    You may want to keep a supply of lemon herbal tissane and a nice jar of honey on hand. So good anytime
    BAV-Aortic Stenosis...AVR Oct 11, 2005 / St.Jude Regent mechanical 21mm
    INR Home testing since 2007 with Coaguchek XS...Self-Dosing

"Caution: I may have been in contact with Nuts"