Patient survey New patient education video Facebook Twitter www.onxlti.com

Thread: How long after surgery did you wait before you had a glass of wine or beer?

Default How long after surgery did you wait before you had a glass of wine or beer?

I will be 4 weeks post ops next Tuesday. I'm going out to dinner next weekend and am apprehensive about drinking.

Carol

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud54 View Post
    I will be 4 weeks post ops next Tuesday. I'm going out to dinner next weekend and am apprehensive about drinking.

Carol
    I wouldn't worry about ONE glass of wine or beer. I was prescribed a 12oz beer each evening while I was in the hospital. The docs told me it would help me get rid of water. If in doubt, call you PCP.
    Starr-Edwards mechanical AVR 1967 at age 31.....University of Kentucky Med. Ctr., Dr. Richard Wood & Dr. Gordon Danielson surgeons. No surgery (heart or otherwise) since. On Warfarin ACT since surgery. No diet, lifestyle, or activity restrictions....and I live one day at a time.

I had a glass of wine after both surgeries within 3 or 4 days after arriving home. I enjoy a glass from time to time and none of my doctors ever discouraged the small amount I drink. Moderation is the key.

I probably waited about a month, but only because I didn't feel well due to some afib probs and then getting used to the new meds for that. As soon as the afib was behind me I felt good enough to want a drink and did.
    Doug, Bi-cuspid Aortic Valve
    AVR Jul 27, 2010
    Mayo Clinic, Dr Daly

I waited 3-4 weeks after surgery to have any wine, but mostly due to the way I felt, not health concerns. I don't think one glass of wine, even one a day, is something to worry about. I would like to hear others' thoughts on this as well, though!
    BAV...AVR March 7th, 2011 / Carbomedics mechanical 25mm
    Ascending Aortic Aneurysm replaced with Dacron at same time
    Sanford Heart, Fargo, ND, Dr. Roxanne Newman

I waited close to 8 weeks, but as others have said, it was because of how I felt - not health concerns. Of course I didn't do it half way - at week 8 I had a vodka and tonic. Felt fine.

Also, I did ask my cardio about having a glass of wine with dinner, and was told there was no problem in doing that. They felt that it might also help with sleep.
    Go Class of 2011!

Steve Epstein
    9 Years in The Waiting Room, then on February 28, 2011,
    AVR with 23mm Edwards Bovine Pericardial Tissue Valve, Model 3300TFX, Pacemaker - Boston Scientific Altrua 60 DDDR IS-1 and CABG (LIMA-LAD) at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago by Dr. Patrick McCarthy and the most wonderful team of professionals I could ask for.

It took me about a week and a half...only because I was not up for having before that.
    AVR, horse valve with Aorta Reinforcement with Dacron Strip on June 21st, 2010
    University of Chicago - Dr. Jai Raman

I waited 6 -8 months or longer. Just because I was afraid. Always though my heart is still in the process of healing.

Brigham and Women Hopsital -Dr.Shekar OHS- June 1,09
    AVR-St.Jude Mechanical Valve. (25VAVGJ-515)
    Ascending/Transverse Arch Aortic Replacement

Nelson

I'd worry more about doing silly things AFTER the drink, than the drink itself. If you're on ACT, there is a weak effect of alcohol on INR, maybe immediately in one direction and eventually in the other? Moderate drinkers seem to live longer and healthier than tee-totallers.
    BAV, extended ARoot, some MV damage.
    68 y.o. (65 @OHS), keen active athlete until shortly pre-op, only symptomatic 1-2 months pre-op.
    AVR (Medtronics Hancock II) Dec. 1 2010 w/ Dr. C.M. Feindel at UHN aka Toronto General. Also a "tuck" on the Aortic root, and a (Dacron) Medtronics Simplici-T ring on my MV. I did ACT for 3 months for the ring, and Metoprolol (BB) for 3 months for A-fib.

Thanks for all the inputs. I haven't felt like any drinks but I want to be prepared.

Carol

Well, then. . . maybe a drink or two would help. . .
    Go Class of 2011!

Steve Epstein
    9 Years in The Waiting Room, then on February 28, 2011,
    AVR with 23mm Edwards Bovine Pericardial Tissue Valve, Model 3300TFX, Pacemaker - Boston Scientific Altrua 60 DDDR IS-1 and CABG (LIMA-LAD) at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago by Dr. Patrick McCarthy and the most wonderful team of professionals I could ask for.

I'm day 5 post-op. I can't even imagine how low my tolerance is right now!
    Birth - diagnosed with BAV with Regurgitation.
    September 2010 - Eccho reveals worsening BAV.
    December 2010 - Endocarditis

I think I waited for about a month. I lost the taste for alcohol and biscuits and chocolate - bizarre!
    But the taste is back now ..
    Successful Ross Procedure on Feb 22, 2011 at Epworth Private Hospital, Melbourne - surgeon Peter Skillington
    Congenital bicuspid aortic valve/ 1972 - PDA/1979 - Coarctation aorta repair

I made it!

I had a drink a month after surgery, just make sure you are not taking any tylenol or pain killers that can damage your liver. Moderation of course is the key, drink some water in between drinks to substitute for to much alcohol intake.
    Have one for me, I like a white Bordeaux myself Have fun Carol and enjoy!
    Jeff Beck
    Feb. 25, 2011. St. Jude 25mm Regent MAV, Dr. S. Wang, U of A Hospital, Edmonton, AB
    "You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

WERE WE SUPPOSED TO WAIT ???

DANG

Once I was off the pain meds completely (percocet). 3 weeks maybe.
    Robotic Mitral Valve Repair using a 31mm ATS annuloplasty band, 06/18/09: Dr. Douglas Murphy, St. Joseph's Hospital/Atlanta

I am 8 days out and was thinking of having one pint of Guiness tonight on Christmas Eve. My biggest concern is the Warafin and the other meds. Do you guys think one pint will mess with my INR or cause other issues?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    33 y/o Father of 2 daughters (2.5 years and newborn). Aortic Valve and Root replaced 12/16/11 @ Johns Hopkins. On-X mechanical ticking away and feeling great...

Quote Originally Posted by JeffF View Post
    I am 8 days out and was thinking of having one pint of Guiness tonight on Christmas Eve. My biggest concern is the Warafin and the other meds. Do you guys think one pint will mess with my INR or cause other issues?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    I doubt that ONE pint would do any harm. Merry Christmas.
    Starr-Edwards mechanical AVR 1967 at age 31.....University of Kentucky Med. Ctr., Dr. Richard Wood & Dr. Gordon Danielson surgeons. No surgery (heart or otherwise) since. On Warfarin ACT since surgery. No diet, lifestyle, or activity restrictions....and I live one day at a time.

You are going to be living with coumadin the rest of your life.
    You need to find the limits you can enjoy and still maintain a safe INR.
    To have one pint of beer is perfectly reasonable and your dosage of coumadin should be adjusted if you find, at your next testing, that your body reacts to it. Some people drink two and three glasses with no impact on their INR. Others have slight changes. The only way to know how you will react is to slowly, and MODERATELY have a pint and see what you test a few days later. If you want that to be in your life for the future, you need to gradually add it to your normal routine and adjust your dosage accordingly.

I don't think one pint is going to have any dangerous effect one way or the other.
    All of my doctors were totally supportive of my having a glass or two of wine when I wished during the time I was on coumadin. I only took coumadin for under three months but nevertheless all my doctors knew it and fully approved.

I can't remember how long I stayed away from it; whatever my cardiologist recommended.

But I do remember it was long enough that the next time I had a Cadillac (Gran Marnier) Margarita at my favorite Mexican Restaurant -- and they do an extraordinarily fine job on them -- I only got half-way through it

I think coffee was the real biggie that my cardio wanted me to stay away from. I was on decaf (except for sneaking some lattes) until a year post-op when some of our guests balked at it.

But if you're cleared for wine by all your doctors, I echo what Judy said, "Moderation."
    Repaired coarctation of the aorta and replaced bicuspid aortic valve
    Forum Rules: "...Any and all medical opinions expressed in this forum are the personal opinions of individuals. No person should at anytime act on the information contained herein without the express consent of your own physician..."

I ended up not having one yet (ice water just looked better). Maybe for the National Championship in a few weeks i'll have one.

Thx for the responses.

Merry Christmas!
    33 y/o Father of 2 daughters (2.5 years and newborn). Aortic Valve and Root replaced 12/16/11 @ Johns Hopkins. On-X mechanical ticking away and feeling great...

Quote Originally Posted by JeffF View Post
    I ended up not having one yet (ice water just looked better). Maybe for the National Championship in a few weeks i'll have one.

Thx for the responses.

Merry Christmas!
    You can only have one then if you are cheering for the right team! My first post surgery drink was probably the first time we went out to dinner, and I was off most medications (except the beta blockers) by then.
    MV repair (mini sternotomy) , June 2, 2010, Brigham & Women's Hospital, Dr. Shekar.
    Focusing on the positives that will result from the surgery can help reduce the stress from the days leading up to the surgery and help you get over any bumps in the road.