Patient survey New patient education video Facebook Twitter www.onxlti.com

Thread: Pericardial Rub

Default Pericardial Rub

Hi. Has anyone experience of the following:

When breathing in, my heartbeat becomes louder, untill it sounds like knocking on my breastbone. It sometimes occurs (lightly) just by sitting up). I'm about 2 weeks post-op.

The cardio has dismissed it as a pericardial rub, but I'm not so sure. To me it sounds like the valve (CE Bovine 27mm) rubbing against the back of my breastbone. If it is (pericardial rub), how long can I expect it to be like this, and does it cause any damage. If not, what else could it be.

Regards
    Walter

from thoracic ct scans i've seen of different people, the valve itself is too far away from the breast bone to rub against it. There was one other guy here that complained of a similar phenomenon and it drove him absolutely nuts... to the point of seeking out a few different opinions and considering another OHS (if I remember correctly).
    In the living room.

"If something is going to affect your life, it's best to know as much as you can about it." -Donald Trump

I am not a doctor or a medical professional! Always check with your doctor before acting on any information that doesn't come from your doctor.

If you have/had an aneurysm, please answer my poll here:

You are ONLY two weeks poat op and the organs are still trying to settle down ...give the body a chance to get its @#%# together again ....this too will pass

I am 6 weeks post-op and I also have the same sensation as you describe. I saw my cardiologist today and she said that it will eventually go away but couldn't predict a timeframe. Sometimes it does drive me nuts, though. I finally have my post-op visit with the surgeon next Tuesday so will also get his opinion.
    Chris
    10/27/10 AVR for quadracuspid aortic valve - #21 Edwards Magna EZ Valve, Dr. Bavaria, UPenn

Default Settling Down?

It does take a while for things to settle down after OHS. Your body is pretty traumatized by what it's been through. Give it some time to adjust.

-Philip

Ditto to what Philip just wrote and welcome to the site
    Repaired coarctation of the aorta and replaced bicuspid aortic valve
    Forum Rules: "...Any and all medical opinions expressed in this forum are the personal opinions of individuals. No person should at anytime act on the information contained herein without the express consent of your own physician..."

Yep, me, too. But I'm now 4 months post op, and noticing the increased noise upon inhalation less and less these days. Although it may never go away. Breathing in just changes the sonics, and position of the organs, etc.
    Laurie
    MVR & maze & pacemaker-2006
    ICD-2007;
    AVR & tricuspid repair w/ ring 8/11/2010
    home testing since 2006

I'm 4 1/2 months post-op and sometimes I still get that when breathing in while laying on my stomach. They used to tell me it was plueral rub now they think it is just my sternum being "creaky"
    MV repair 7/26/10 @ the Cleveland Clinic w/Dr. Gillinov Post surgery a-fib, Dressler's, anemia "It is normal to give away a little of one's life in order not to lose it all". ~Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    ........................... welcome to the site
    HOW did I miss and WELCOME TO OUR FAMILY ....we are all brothers and sisters in OHS (open heart surgery) here is a list of terms you will encounter http://www.valvereplacement.org/foru...27412-Acronyms