Patient survey New patient education video Facebook Twitter www.onxlti.com

View Poll Results: How Long Does An Automatic Coffee Maker Last You?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 to 2 years

7 17.50%
  • 2 to 3 years

8 20.00%
  • 3 to 4 years

4 10.00%
  • More then 4 years

21 52.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long does an automatic coffee maker last you?

Default How long does an automatic coffee maker last you?

Coffee drinkers, how long does an automatic coffee pot last you before it breaks down?

I'm only getting about 2.5 years out of them.

Ross, our coffee maker does'nt get used everyday now. We have change to a French Press coffee maker. Enjoy the taste alot better. So our other coffee maker which is a drip kind, has lasted us almost 6 years. For company that enjoys drip coffee.
    OHS 6/20/2006

mine goes everyday,always and some didn't last 2 years

we have gone through alot of pots(drip type) and some

just couldn't keep up.Finally bought 3 years ago a tim hotins

drip pot and i hate tim hortins coffee,but you can use your own

ground coffee. Finally it is hitting third year and going strong

(WATCH NOW IT WILL DIE)cus i said that.

zipper2 (DEB)
    zipper2(DEB)

AVR March24th 1992 (Carbomedic Valve)
    MVR January20th 2009 (St Jude)
    INR home testing with coagucheck xs:):)

Ours is used on a daily basis. Use only distilled water as the water in my area is especially hard. We usually get about 4 years out of ours...I guess we have been pretty lucky.
    Chris
    Livin' Life At A Snail's Pace
    AVR May 19, 2008
    Edwards LifeScience Bovine Pericardial

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Coffee drinkers, how long does an automatic coffee pot last you before it breaks down?

3-4 years here Ross. Although my 3 year old coffee pot is now leaking...time to get a new one! I drink 1/2 of a pot every day. I have a French Press coffee maker, but honestly, with an hour commute, I just don't have the time to mess with it. I need my coffee to make itself while I get ready.
    Kristy S.
    AVR 6-19-01 (S.J. Mechanical)
    Centura Porter Hospital
    Dr. Brad Hofer (Surgeon)

We had one for close to 10 years. We'd probably still have it if my son hadn't emersed the glass pot into water while it was still hot. It wasn't an expensive one but I thought it made excellent coffee. The new one we got just doesn't taste the same.
    Wayne
    02/28/06 Mitral Valve Repair & closure of atrial septal defect - Dr. Tirone David
    03/24/06 Pericardial Tamponade

We use a Braun. It seems to make the best coffee, compared to a Krups, Mr. Coffee, Cuisinart, and several others. The only real difference I've noted is that they use a metal tube for the hot water, instead of plastic, which must give off some kind of chemical or taste.

They aren't made anymore, so I scout Ebay for them, and have several used ones in the wings...

Best wishes,
    Bob H

"No Eternal Reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn..." Jim Morrison

Click here to View the Glossary of VR Terms and Acronyms

I am not a Medical Professional. Aortic Valve Replacement (Medtronic Mosaic) on 4/6/04, at Robert Wood Johnson UH in New Brunswick, NJ. AVR again (St. Jude Biocor) on 08/25/09 at St. Michael's MC in Newark, NJ. Both performed by Dr. Tyrone Krause, a true Zen Master Mechanic in the world of valve replacement surgery.

Well, I'm fixing to find that out Ross! I just went & bought us one of those 1 cup Turig Coffee Brewers w/the different flavors of coffee. I have been using an old fashion, glass coffee makers for years. But since I'm the only one that drinks coffee first thing in the morning a lot of it goes to waste so I got the 1-cup machine.
    Best Regards,
    N Jean

May/1975: AVR & MVR -- St. Luke's, Houston TX (Denton Cooley, Surgeon)
    Dec/1975: MV Repair -- St. Luke's (Dr. Cooley)
    Mar/2006: AVR -- St. Luke's, Houston TX (George Reul, Surgeon)

"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less."
    - Marie Curie

i'm curious, why do they die?

I've drank maybe 3 cups of coffee in my life.
    In the living room.

"If something is going to affect your life, it's best to know as much as you can about it." -Donald Trump

I am not a doctor or a medical professional! Always check with your doctor before acting on any information that doesn't come from your doctor.

If you have/had an aneurysm, please answer my poll here:

Proctor-Silex drip coffee maker over here. Its used every day and sometimes twice a day when there's company during the holiday season.

Had this poor old machine for at least 12 years........and its starting to show its age........but hay it still works.
    Laughter is the Best Medicine

MVR March 30/07 Carbomedics Valve - Said and done in 5 days - Shocked & Dumbfounded
    I've learned..That to ignore the facts does not change the facts

I love ours (Braun) which is over four years now and it is like brand new and the coffee stays hot for a very long time without any change in taste.
    Eva

Aortic & Mitral valves replaced with St. Jude Mechanical valves @ age 57 on 9/2/08

INR home tester/Coagucheck

Forum Rules: " .... medical opinions expressed in this forum are the personal opinions of individuals. No person should at any time
    act on the information contained herein without the express consent of your own physician."

They don't make Braun anymore? I have had 2 and they are good. I think
    Bob must be right about the plastic affecting the taste. Right now I have
    a Hamilton Beach 'brewing station' - the one that doesnt have a pot, you
    just press the mug against the button and it streams out. I have had this
    one for 3 years now and while it still works, the inside of the machine
    has coffee gunk stuck on it that I can't get to--time for new new one.
    Most of the others I had lasted close to 3 years too, but none of them
    actually stopped working except for one(a Mr. Coffee),with the others I
    broke the glass pot
    So 2-3 years for me.
    Tricuspid Valve Replacement(Bovine)2/4/08
    A.Flutter x 3,with 2 ablations & cardioversion 2007
    "A little learning is a dangerous thing..."-by Alexander Pope

Put me down in the more than 10 year category.....we have a couple of machines, including the little single mug version.
    Hubby goes in phases and uses it and then forgets about it, so they last a LONG time.
    I don't touch the stuff.....I prefer a very milky hot chocolate with a pinch of decaf instant coffee.
    BAV-Aortic Stenosis...AVR Oct 11, 2005 / St.Jude Regent mechanical 21mm
    INR Home testing since 2007 with Coaguchek XS...Self-Dosing

"Caution: I may have been in contact with Nuts"

Dina - have you tried to clean your machine with vinegar? It works well for me.

MVR March 30/07 Carbomedics Valve - Said and done in 5 days - Shocked & Dumbfounded

Phyllis Guest

3-4 years I use a Cuisinart both here and home in CT. Like it, but find that none of the pots I have had over the years keep the coffee hot enough for very long.

Lisa in Katy Guest

The only one I've ever owned lasted about 15 years before I gave it to Purple Heart. Of course, I only used it for guests, and not very often even then.

My mother is a daily coffee drinker. She inherited an under the counter pot when she bought her house 10 years ago. I'm not sure how old it was, but it certainly wasn't new. It gave up the ghost about 3 years ago, so she got another one that shows no sign of slowing down. The longevity probably has something to do with the water. We are on neighborhood wells here (Municipal Utility Districts). She uses filtered tap water. She also cleans her pot with vinegar and lemon juice every couple of months.

Red face The Mr. Coffee coffee maker I bought at Walmart

lasted about a year, and I only had it because my mom is a huge coffee drinker, and I am not, however, it started to leak from the bottom and soon it got to the point that the minute you filled the resovoir with water, it leaked out of the bottom and flooded the counter. Needless to say, I don't by coffee makers from Walmart any more...it's either Home Depot or Lowes....

It's aweful, you pay good money for something (I paid 45 dollars for it) and it dies on you even though you hardly used it...
    ----------------------------

Harold L.

I may not be able to kneel, but I can certainly bow my head in prayer that God will see me through as I know he will......:D:D

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Harrybaby666/License%20Plates/MontanaPlate.jpg[/IMG]

You're lucky if you can count it in YEARS, around here it is usually months that we count Once, we went looking for a GOOD one, and all the really expensive ones (DeLonghi, Cuisinart etc.) that we could find were made in China, so we gave up and got another cheapish one. We've been married 7.5 years, and have gone through aboaut 10 coffemakers.
    AVR September 6th, 2007 at age 52; Carbomedics/Sorin mechanical, model #R500, size 23
    Hamilton General Hospital - Dr. Semelhago - "Da Best"
    bicuspid; murmur diagnosed 1985 - warfarin, beta-blocker, BP pill

Braun was out of my price range when they were around, but honestly, I've probably replaced enough of them to have bought one. Anyone in here have a Bunn? I'm wondering if they're worth the money or not.

My last one was a Mr.Coffee and the thermal limiter went out causing the hot plate to stay on all the time. Burned my counter!

Forever, and ever, and ever
    Haleluuu- uuu yaaaa!
    Aortic Bovine Pericardial Heart Valve Model #3000TFX
    March 6th 2008[/COLOR]

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]"If nominated, I will not run.
    If elected, I will not serve."[/COLOR]

I too would give a hearty endorsement of French Press. It will never wear out, and I think it makes the best coffee by far. I have a couple of very fancy coffee makers, but we always find ourselves coming back to the little French Press.
    "There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls".

Mary Guest

I can't recall the number of coffee makers we've owned over the years, but we've gone through a bunch--both expensive and inexpensive brands.
    I think the hard water in our area is responsible for their demise. We started using distilled water after the last one bit the dust, and six months later, the new one is still working. We'll see how long it lasts.

According to Consumer reports; their ratings on coffeemakers in 2004 the Bunn was listed at #20 for $90 and lacked convenience.

Assuming you want a 8 to 12 cup drip and just the basics;
    #3 Black & Decker $35
    #11 Black & Decker $25
    #12 Hamilton Beach $40
    #15 Proctor Silex $20

Best value with extra features;
    #5 Hamilton Beach $60

Keep in mind these 2004 prices and the Braun was rated #1 for basic and #4 with extra features.

Try this Ross. Looks like Braun is still around,
    http://www.consumersearch.com/coffee-maker-reviews
    http://www.ctv.consumerreports.org/coffeemakers.html - done on Dec 5 2008

Hope this helps.

We buy the cheapo Proctor- Silex drip style ($10) ...we use it for coffee every morning and tea 3-4 times a week ....last one lasted over 10 years
    No shoes, no shirt, no problem
    AVR with Ablation -St Jude Mechanical--2006
    ~Easy Does It~

The early bird get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese