I had an ultrasound last Thursday (4 1/2 weeks post-op from aortic root and aortic valve replacement surgery). The tech identified fluid around my heart. I met with my cardiologist early Friday am and he described it as a 'moderate amount of fluid.' His advice was to come back in a week for another ultrasound to be sure the fluid isn't increasing and I'm not at risk for cardiac tamponade. He said the fluid is normally absorbed by the body without intervention in about 80% of patients. The other 20% need it drained. Any thoughts? Just curious to hear from you all about this.
I feel pretty good, no pains that seem suspicious. However, since the ultrasound I am especially sleepy and have returned to taking long naps each afternoon. I also have a mild achey headache that won't go away.
One final question: What is the difference between pericardial effusion (what I have) and pericarditis?