Patient survey New patient education video Facebook Twitter www.onxlti.com

Thread: Hot tub after surgery?

Default Hot tub after surgery?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how long it will be after surgery that you can use a hot tub? We have one outside and I thought it would be great for relieving the muscle soreness that seems to follow OHS. I am sure the incision would have to be healed first. But I am also aware that the high temperature of the water can wreak havoc with blood pressure.

I will certainly ask my cardiologist but was just wondering if anyone here had any experience.

Randy

They told me 8 weeks for the Hot Tub. I don't think it's the temps, but the bacteria that can cause infection at incision.

Dan
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]In Laguna[/FONT]

Coarctation of Aorta Repair ( CHOP 1972). Aortic Valve Replacement/Ascending Aortic Graft ( Mass General, December 04, Edwards Magna Tissue Valve)

Barry Guest

Quote Originally Posted by inlaguna
    They told me 8 weeks for the Hot Tub. I don't think it's the temps, but the bacteria that can cause infection at incision.

Dan
    What Dan said. I've got a mechanical mitral valve and go hot-tubbing all the time. Just wait 'til your incision is healed up.

Randy,
    I was told showers were OK but no hot baths.
    I would think six to eight weeks probably would be what he says.
    I can tell you that first hot bath was fantastic!
    Rich
    AVR 7-29-96
    St. Jude Mechanical
    Wm. Beaumont Hospital
    Royal Oak,Mi.
    Dr. Paul Clancy

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away"
    Geo. Carlin

Thanks, everyone. That makes me feel much better. I know it will be a great feeling climbing into that hot tub for the first time postop.

Randy