Bio vs Mechanical for a 31 yr old

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mrfox Just wanted to wish you the best. The responses cover all the nuances of this decision, but as others have said, the great thing is that we have choices at this point, and they work!

You and your care team can evaluate the trade-offs as it suits you, but as neil and dick0236 point out, we're hugely fortunate to live in a time when we can make a choice and get on with life. Please keep us updated and reach out when you need support.

Thanks again for the comments and advice everyone.

I've taken advice from a couple of surgeons, as well as having now had a heart CT scan which showed my root as - not dilated but - a little large. Due to the risk of my aorta further dilating with the increased pressure caused by multiple valve degradations, as well as generally wanting to stay out of the OR, I've chosen to go for a mech valve. Most likely a low INR one such as the ON-X.

I'm waiting for my pre-op and the surgery itself is probably still a few months away. Truly in the waiting room now!

dick0236;n883419 said:
I agree that for a young man and at the current level of medical science, mechanical is the most logical choice. ACT is not difficult and with a little experience is a very good trade off compared to multiple surgeries.

And remember, Uncle Dick was the same age as Mr Fox is now when he got his mechanical.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZlb5LBvXjg

A tough call for certain; especially how young you are (I was 50 when faced with the same decision in May 2017). https://medium.com/@firehorsecaper/major-surgery-in-japan-a-success-story-97a74a4a7226
This board is a good resource. I bookmarked the Edwards (inspira resilia) when I saw it as well. Running 10k per day 4-5 days a week again feels good. Under an hour finally again. All you can do is be armed with the best info. Good luck to you in your due diligence and final decision. Best regards, JCG

jcgtok17;n883442 said:
A tough call for certain; especially how young you are (I was 50 when faced with the same decision in May 2017). https://medium.com/@firehorsecaper/major-surgery-in-japan-a-success-story-97a74a4a7226
This board is a good resource. I bookmarked the Edwards (inspira resilia) when I saw it as well. Running 10k per day 4-5 days a week again feels good. Under an hour finally again. All you can do is be armed with the best info. Good luck to you in your due diligence and final decision. Best regards, JCG

Enjoyed (probably not the right word..) reading your story,
thanks

Hi there

like many have mentioned it’s such a personal choice. I like you had the same dilemma a few years back, young(ish) but very active. As your surgeon has mentioned and why I went for a tissue valve was that more and more data and development of the TAVR method and better tissue valves are being produced. It was also the thought of the ticking and warfarin that pushed me toward a tissue valve. Always go with your gut feeling but you will find plenty of resources in here to help you.

Latest posts

Back