Mechanical Mitral Valvers?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homeskillet

Seems that I read more about mechanical aortic valves than I do mechanical mitral valves. I have read that mitral valves are more prone to throwing a clot than the aortic & other valves, which is why surgeons suggest a higher INR range for the mitral.

However, my surgeon also told me that after 3-4 months post-op. we could very possibly lower the INR range from 2.5-3.5 to either 1.5-2.5 - or, just to safe, 2.0-3.0.

Was just wondering how many mechanical mitral valvers are on this forum & how long you've had the valve?

Curious also if there's any significant-practical difference between the general longevity of a mechanical aortic vs. a mechanical mitral valve?

Lastly, would be interested is seeing how many have the ON-X mitral valve & your thoughts on this valve.

Thank you in advance!

I have a mechanical mitral valve, going on six years now. I think you are right about the need for a higher INR range over aortic valves due to the increased risk of clotting. I have heard that a biological valve in the mitral position wears out faster than in the aortic position due to increased pressures, among other things, but I think that all things being equal a mechanical valve in either position would have the same life expectancy, which is to say, forever. Or so I hope. Of course there is no warranty against malfunctions, not that it would matter. I have a St. Jude's so I can't comment on the On-X.

QuincyRunner;n876754 said:
I have a mechanical mitral valve, going on six years now. I think you are right about the need for a higher INR range over aortic valves due to the increased risk of clotting. I have heard that a biological valve in the mitral position wears out faster than in the aortic position due to increased pressures, among other things, but I think that all things being equal a mechanical valve in either position would have the same life expectancy, which is to say, forever. Or so I hope. Of course there is no warranty against malfunctions, not that it would matter. I have a St. Jude's so I can't comment on the On-X.

Well, my tissue valve in the mitral position wore out in 1 year! Went from doing just fine in Aug. 2016 to absolutely horrid by March 2017.

Have read good things about the St. Jude's.

My stepfather got his mechanical mitral valve 14 years ago at age 76. He turned 90 recently. I'm pretty sure he does not have an On-X valve, and I think, if I'm not mistaken, that his range is 2.5-3.5. He does not self-test but goes to the clinic regularly for INR checks.

St. Jude mechanical in mitral position since 1999. INR range 2.5 to 3.5.

My mechanical mitral valve was implanted in 1999. INR range is 2.5 to 3.5 and always has been and always will be. Once an anti-coagulant is required it doesn't matter to me what the INR range is because patient is on it and still has to test just the same. 2.5 to 3.5 has kept me safe from clots and that's what matters,

I've had a St. Jude's mechanical mitral valve since 1993. It'll be 24 years old in December. My INR range used to be 2.5-3.5. Sometime in the last 10 years, my Dr. started wanting me in a range of 3.0-3.5.

Mom2
That's interesting, the range of 3-3.5. Do you home test?

Last edited:
Mechanical Saint Jude aortic and mitral valves since 2008.
My INR range is 2.5-3.5. My surgeon prefers me to stay on the higher end range and not to worry much if it went up to 4.0!
i try to stay between 3-3.5.

Latest posts

Back