Are sounds from mechanical heart valves equal for different valve types?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a St. Jude's. I had a similar experience to what Paleowoman described.. When the valve was new and my body was injured and inflamed from surgery, I heard it all the time. Now I rarely hear it unless I want to hear it. I hear it right now because it is late and quiet and everyone's sleeping. I hear a tick like an old school watch. The ticking never keeps me awake or distracts me. I do interview a lot of witnesses, victims, and suspects at work. I use a digital recorder concealed in a shirt pocket. Sometimes when I listen to the recording while writing a report, I can hear the tick in the recording. I tried to get my coworkers to hear it in the recording and they had difficulty recognizing it.

judy bee;n873375 said:
I have to have a replacement .not a repair...Are you suggesting I consider a mechanical valve ?

only saying that be sure you need a replacement and not a repair. I can't suggest you about mitral valve selection, sorry..

Just a quick update:
Had my second AVR 2 weeks ago. So glad that I woke up!. This time (untill now) everything went much smoother.. (less pain and complications). Already did some 1 hour walks in the forest again!. Still chest & shoulderpain though. The sound of the mechanical valve is louder that I had expected or hoped for... hopefully it will diminish a bit over time.. Maybe it's time to start using a analog watch :p.
When I hold my breath, i feel that my hearth (or valve?) is pumping more, that's very strange, i don't know if this happened to anybody else...
Cheers, hope you guys are all doing fine!
Erik

Hi Erik

glad to read you're back with us and doing OK

erik;n875232 said:
... The sound of the mechanical valve is louder that I had expected or hoped for... hopefully it will diminish a bit over time..

the upside is its easier to take your pulse :)

When I hold my breath, i feel that my hearth (or valve?) is pumping more, that's very strange, i don't know if this happened to anybody else...

just holding, or deep breath and hold?

Best Wishes

I had my BAV surgery in June 2014 at Johns Hopkins and I went with a mechanical valve. I experienced two different noises, one internal noise that sounded like the ticking of a wind up watch. That went away after two weeks. The external sound, the clicking noise everyone mentions, that went off my radar after about 9 months. I don't even hear it now. Good luck. After about a year you won't even notice it.

Latest posts

Back