34 Years Old - Mechanical Valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TP12022015

At age 3, I was diagnosed with congenital bicuspid aortic stenosis and have been monitored at least once a year for the past 31 years. On August 28th I was told the time has come for replacement. After much research and consultation with my surgeon, I have decided on the On-x. Dr. Stewart and Pettersson from the cleveland clinic will perform the operation. I wanted to thank those that have left opinions and stories about their experiences. This has been very helpful and I am grateful for those that contribute! This Wednesday is the day!

Hi

TP12022015;n860758 said:
At age 3, I was diagnosed with congenital bicuspid aortic stenosis and have been monitored at least once a year for the past 31 years. On August 28th I was told the time has come for replacement. ... This Wednesday is the day!

"glad" to meet another with similar history. I'm happy (for you) that you managed to avoid earlier surgeries and it seems this is your first.

Don't stress about it (and it sounds like you aren't), read up on the "things to take to hospital" (which it seems you have). I'd also take a light thin fleece blanket if you can get one. I found that over the top of the (so open weave its almost knotted) hospital quilt it worked well to keep me warm and allow sweat to dissipate without chilling you. Dunno if hospitals have the same sorts of "quilts" there as here.

Good luck for Wednesday, look forward to your posts on Friday or so.

Best Wishes

Well I made it! Now entering the second full day of recovery and feel much better than I expected. Final chest tube and Iv's are coming out today. Started Coumadin yesterday and will be monitored closely. The people at the Cleveland Cleveland have been awesome so far.

TP12022015;n860872 said:
Well I made it!

Congratulations and welcome to the "other side". One of the bigger challenges in dealing with coumadin/warfarin is remembering to take the pill.....especially if you're young and not used to taking pills....so get yourself a seven day pillbox and develop the routine of taking the pill at the same time each day. I believe Cleveland Clinic is a proponent of self-testing and I would encourage you to self-test once you get your INR stabilized.

Hey

TP12022015;n860872 said:
Well I made it! Now entering the second full day of recovery and feel much better than I expected.

Excellent news :) I knew you'd make it :)

On the chest tubes (and yes this is for the lurkers and waiting room newbies) all those teen-horror-anxiety movies seem to have had the effect of making people act like the director wanted the audience to do and squirm - cover one eye and go - ohh gross.

I was so drugged up and suffering from other distractions it was like forgotten about till I encountered people going on about it here.

How was it for you?

Started Coumadin yesterday and will be monitored closely.

I just want to say "what dick0236 said!"

I was just feeding myself out of the bottle. Frequently had problems (did I take them yet?) So moved onto a pill box within a few weeks of getting home. There were of course other issues of seemingly greater magnitude in the first days and I was "not in a chirpy proactive mood" either.

I set a phone alarm to remind myself so that 1) its always at the same time 2) if I get engrossed I don't forget and the pill box (with day labels) gives me 3) visual reminder that I have or have not taken it yet.

Taking a few hours either side is irrelevant, so don't stress over that.

Mean time kick back, enjoy the food and don't eat anything crumbly like a cookie cos coughing fuhkkenHurtz

:)

PS that is a precursor to the well known radio KHz (killaHurtz)
;-)

Regarding taking meds, I am forgetful. I have a pill box, but also a free app which is a pill reminder - but you also check a box once you have taken the pill. I have been on coumadin 8 months, but every day I am surprised when it goes off! I would forget to take meds without it.

pellicle;n860877 said:
Hey

On the chest tubes (and yes this is for the lurkers and waiting room newbies) all those teen-horror-anxiety movies seem to have had the effect of making people act like the director wanted the audience to do and squirm - cover one eye and go - ohh gross.

I was so drugged up and suffering from other distractions it was like forgotten about till I encountered people going on about it here.

How was it for you?

The tube coming out barely felt like anything. The wires felt strange. Funny how it was something that I had some anxiety over going into it all.

I am now on day 13 of recovery and am feeling good. I walked over a mile outside with the unseasonable warm weather here in Ohio for the month of December. I did have one issue about 8 days out - my incision formed some blood blisters on them and at one point I couldn't get them to stop. I ended up at the ER where with compression they were able to get it to stop. At the time, I had just reached a 2.0 INR, but was also on Lovonox (sp?). Followed up with my surgeon the next day and he just had me keep it compressed. It is starting to look much better on day 13. Dr. Stewart at the Cleveland, along with his NP Debbie were very helpful through it all. He has a certain calmness to him that was beneficial.

As far as taking medicine, I have a daily pill box and set my phone for 5:30pm every to sound the alarm. So far, so good!

TP12022015;n861062 said:
pellicle;n860877 said:
Hey

How was it for you?

The tube coming out barely felt like anything. The wires felt strange. Funny how it was something that I had some anxiety over going into it all.

I am now on day 13 of recovery and am feeling good. I walked over a mile outside with the unseasonable warm weather here in Ohio for the month of December

excellent :) I wish it was possible to put these stories into stickies so that panicked anxiety riddled newcomers could read this.

Best Wishes for a continued smooth and uneventful recovery. Enjoy the sunshine while you can!

At the 26 day mark post surgery and am feeling great. Walking about 3 miles per day for about an hour, sleeping great and overall returning to normal. Somewhere around the 2-3 week mark, I saw a vast improvement. Visited my cardiologist, Dr Prieto at the Cleveland clinic and she gave me the "everything looks good, see you in 3 months". What a great thing to hear. Overall, the Cleveland clinic has been great. Dr. Stewart and Dr. Prieto are greatly respected by me and I feel so grateful for their expertise and care. Dr. Prieto stopped by several times when I was in the hospital to check in on me.

I guess I never would have thought I would feel this good at this point. There is hope for those of you who have taken good care of yourselves and the return to normalcy happens pretty quick. I have become very reflective and enjoy thinking back about the past 26 days. I know this seems weird, but I even asked dr. Stewart for another tour of the OR on a follow up visit at around day 10 and he was more than willing to walk with me and spend time. This meant a great deal to me.

Oh and for those worried about Coumadin...so far so good and something you shouldn't stress about. This might change over the coming years, but my initial impression is that it's not a big deal.

Pellicle-

Speaking of chest tubes.After I woke up from being sedated for 6 days; they had to take out the chest tubes 2 days later.The nurse gave me way to much oxycoden that I was resedated for 3 hours.I could hear my parents crying....asking the nurses if I'm still alive.They tickled my feet I felt it.My mom was holding my hand asking me to squeeze it but I couldn't .They finally found the reversal medicine to wake me up and I woke up to my mom on the floor shouting thank you Jesus!They didn't leave my room that night,

Back