Mitral Valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CameraGuy

Hi, I'm a 61-year old male. I had my first MVR back in 1998 at Kaiser Los Angeles. I had been with Kaiser my whole adult life up until last October when I changed jobs and got new insurance with a PPO and I was free to go to any doctor. I think this fact has saved my life.
Backstory: In 1998, Kaiser tried talking me into a mechanical valve, but then I got a second opinion from a cardiologist at Cedars Sinai and that doctor recommended a tissue valve due to the Coumadin aspect (I was 44 at the time). My Hancock porcine valve lasted a good 16 years. Two years ago, Kaiser said that my mitral valve was leaking again, but that we would "watch it." Last September, I went for my last physical with Kaiser and the cardiologist did an echo and told me "You don't need another echo for five years."

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]Six weeks ago I had a sudden onset of shortness of breath. I went to my new GP who did an EKG, sent me to the emergency room, and I was hospitalized with fluid in my lungs due to the calcification of my MV. I am seeing a cardiologist in San Francisco who has paved the way for me to have the second replacement surgery with Dr. Craig Miller at Stanford. Tomorrow (Monday, July 6) is my consultation with Dr. Miller.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I have heard that Dr. Miller is quite steadfast in his belief in the mechanical valve, but the thought of it makes me queasy. I would prefer another tissue valve. Which leads to my question.[/FONT][/FONT]
Have their been major improvements as to duration with the latest generation of tissue valves? I gather they are in the third generation now. Any opinions regarding bovine vs porcine?

PS- I just had an angiogram, and it shows no signs of coronary artery disease.

Hi

CameraGuy;n856661 said:
...Have their been major improvements as to duration with the latest generation of tissue valves? I gather they are in the third generation now. Any opinions regarding bovine vs porcine?

PS- I just had an angiogram, and it shows no signs of coronary artery disease.

well not that I've seen here. Still see people posting saying they got far less than 10 years from their tissue valves. I'd say you can make of the makers claims what you want to. Personally I'd say product claims are as much about marketing spin as facts, but thats my conjecture.

Pick whichever you fancy, I notice that latest research is showing that even mitral mechanical valves can operate on reduced INR these days , combined with heaps better testing of INR (you know, it scares me when I read stuff from the old days like "if there's no blood in your urine then your INR isn't too high") with PoC machines ... I use a Coaguchek XS, I happen to like it.

Perhaps your surgeon Dr Miller knows something? Have you asked him why he holds his opinion? If the thought of a mechanical makes you queasy then you should look closely at a tissue one ... what boils down to fine leather stitched on top of a steel trellis. Not exactly "natural"

perimount.JPG

Well, I got 18 years from the current pig valve. Just wondering if they have improved the durability at all. FWIW, I'm now 61 years old.

Hi
CameraGuy;n856672 said:
Well, I got 18 years from the current pig valve. Just wondering if they have improved the durability at all. FWIW, I'm now 61 years old.

well from what I know the durability is significantly influenced by your bodies chemistry, so if you got 18 years outta that one then I'd suspect you'd get something like that out of the next one. There are people who seem to calcify them in under 5 years (even with the "new ones"), you obviously aren't one of them :)

I'd raise that point with your surgeon as part of your discussion with him/her.

BTW, glad to have another photographer on the site, I'm a keen camera guy myself ( http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com.au/sear...%20photography )
:)

It looks like between us we disprove the theory that valves age faster with younger people. I got my pig valve at 60 and it lasted 6 years. Good luck whatever you decide!

Hi Cameraguy

Did you got treatment from Dr. Miller. How was that.

I met Dr Miller recently and found him much old. Does surgery from him at this age will be ok?

Please all of the members if can provide me their comments on this.

Latest posts

Back