Valve choice. No clue what to do, and I would like to hear your opinion!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Berit,

I also wanted to say hello and lend my support. I am a 26 year old female with no children so I can relate to your valve choice struggles. I have not had surgery yet, but the way my valve is deteriorating I will likely need surgery soon. I have been going through some of the same thoughts you have, that I shouldn't have to be dealing with this at my age, and that it feels impossible to make such a huge decision when so much of your life is undecided and yet to be lived. But I suppose that everyone has to deal with unknowns in their life, and it is rare for someone to end up exactly where they imagined. I think you need to allow yourself to grieve a bit, but also feel lucky in a way, because of the wide range of diseases out there, we are fortunate enough to have a "cure" for ours, and can expect to live a long life, no matter which valve we choose.

I will also mention that I am leaning towards mechanical, partly because being pregnant has never been a huge priority for me and I would be happy with adoption. But as others have said, it is such a personal choice.

Best of luck with everything, keep us posted!

PS Your english is VERY good, I am impressed by anyone who can speak more than one language fluently :)

Hi, it is always nice to meet someone who is also a younger patient and understands me! Not that I am happy you are in this situation of course. I agree with you on the pregnant thing. Having children is not something that I necessarily see in my future and I have always been interested in adoption. It's just that I am not sure whether I want to cancel out the option completely.
Btw, in the Netherlands most people actually speak two languages! Almost no one else's speaks Dutch, so we're kind of forced to if we want to communicate with others haha!
And to my fellow Dutchie Mark, yes I talked to my surgeon about a repair. She said the surgeons will look into it, but because the leakage is so severe, she is expecting a 95 procent chance on a repair.
I have my first meeting with the surgeon scheduled for monday, so I will definitely keep everyone posted!

so this is the only child ? not having any more ?
i have already one child pre the mechanical valve and now that I'm the mechanical valve i feel sicker than when i was before it :D i guess its just me because every other test shows everything is ok !
anyways I'm thinking of having the 2nd child but since i already don't feel well pre pregnancy it won't be a good idea this is my 3rd OHS and I'm 27

Latest posts

Back