Mechanical Valve Clicking

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as others have said, it's probably best to leave the choice of valves to the surgeon

My surgeon told me that he would NOT tell me which valve to go with. As it turns out, we both preferred the same one (OpenPivot), but he made it clear that the choice was mine, and that I was free to change my mind at any point before they started pumping in the night-night juice. That freedom may have been illusory, however, if he could have just switched valves on his own after opening me up.

I got my St. Jude 22 years ago. It was loud, I could hear the clicking.
The older St Jude valves, Masters, are more noisy than the newer ones, Regent, at least that's what I've heard. I rarely hear my Regent.

It would be interesting to know how the same model mechanical valve can be noisy in one person, and much quieter in another. Does it have something to do with body habitus?

I have had a StJudes since 1999. Faint clicking at first but no sound for years. Must be working as I am still here! Never had a problem with the Coumadin/warfarin routine. Just a pain to have to always get tested. Good luck and God bless!

Re: Mechanical Valve Clicking

I can hear my St.Jude Regent at night when it's quiet. It doesn't bother me. I found that wearing earplugs at night helps.

Repetitious sounds drive my wife crazy, and my St. Judes doesn't bother her at all. When I ask if she can hear it, she says she can.
The thumping goes away after a little while.

Latest posts

Back