Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Welcome to the New VR.org!

Self Registrations have now been re-enabled. Due to the wonderful world of Spammers, those registering will be required to answer every question in the form..
See more
See less

Mechanical Valve Clicking

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had my St. Jude for almost 13 years. I noticed the clicking for the first month or so post op, but now can't hear it unless I'm in a quiet room and focus on it. I do have a thick torso which probably helps to mask the sound a bit.

Mark
    "It doesn't get easier, you just get faster" - Greg LeMond

Mark U in Sarasota. FL
    Congenital Bicuspid Aortic Valve
    27mm St. Jude, 12-15-00

Comment

Thank you so much for your replies!

The link to the study provided by OldManEmu was very interesting to read - anyone with similar concerns should go through it as it provided lots of good information. The question I have after reading it is this: Do all valves make the clicking sound - with some variation in volume - and it just boils down to whether or not the sounds is bothersome to you personally?

I am wondering if there are any similar studies and perhaps any that might be more recent. Please keep replying everyone - I am learning so much.

Thanks again everyone,
      Ken

Comment

You get a mechanical valve, you will hear the ticking - there is no two way around it, question is how soon will you be able to adjust to not hearing it. You can hear your wall clock ticking if you focus on it but at some point you learned to ignore the noise and focus on other things.

In your day to day activities, you don't hear or feel your heart beating unless you push yourself out of your normal range and run or exercise. yet if you take up Yoga, you will be able to focus and hear your heart beat.
        MVR - St Jude, Dr. Karl Krieger, NY Presbyterian 8/16/2013

Comment

I have an ATS and I only hear it lying down or sometimes in the bath. It doesn't bother me at all
          AVR on 3/6/13.... ATS 18mm

Comment

I have a carbomedic mechanical valve and have only heard it "tick" maybe 3 times...more like a faint clicking noise. The rest of the time it's more of a thumping type sensation in my chest like a strong heartbeat. It is not bothersome at all. It's just one of those things you grow used to and don't even think about as time passes. I am currently about 8 weeks post op.

Comment

Hi

Originally posted by Mister_James View Post
              question is how soon will you be able to adjust to not hearing it. You can hear your wall clock ticking if you focus on it but at some point you learned to ignore the noise and focus on other things.
              Yes, I agree. I think that (although they phrased it differently) that was part of the point in the study posted by OldManEmu. Those who had poorest quality of life focused on the sounds more. Perhaps because they had nothing better to do?

For those of us lucky enough to be active it is not a significant problem.

Comment

I have an On-X valve in the aortic position. I definitely can hear it clicking when I'm in a quiet room or lying in bed. It doesn't keep me awake. As long as it keeps clicking... I'm happy.

My daughter asked my wife about the noise a few weeks ago and my wife said "it's music to my ears".
                Edwards bovine pericardial aortic valve and ascending aorta conduit in 2004 by Dr. Bruce Lytle at the Cleveland Clinic. Medtronic pacemaker in 2006 for bradycardia. Re-do aortic valve replacement with On-x mechanical valve on July 3, 2012 by Dr. Lytle at Cleveland.

Comment

duplicate post deleted.
                  Edwards bovine pericardial aortic valve and ascending aorta conduit in 2004 by Dr. Bruce Lytle at the Cleveland Clinic. Medtronic pacemaker in 2006 for bradycardia. Re-do aortic valve replacement with On-x mechanical valve on July 3, 2012 by Dr. Lytle at Cleveland.

Comment

I have the largest On-X valve and it is fairly quiet for me. I only hear it in a quiet room or one with lots of reflective surfaces like glass or tile. Others rarely hear it except those with acute hearing at high frequencies who know what sound to listen for. The clicking sounds a lot like a dripping faucet. I never heard it at the hospital and thought they might have slipped me a tissue valve instead. When I first came home from the hospital and heard it, I thought the shower faucet was leaking.

I've heard that the larger valves are noisier. ATS seems to have the reputation of being the quietest and it may be true. One of the possible reasons for this is the ATS has the smallest opening area for a given size (according to a valve comparison study done by On-X). Everyone I've heard from on this web site with the ATS seems to be very happy with how quiet the valve is. On the other hand, some with the On-X and St. Jude valves find them very loud.
                    44 year old male, born with BAV, HM in 1992, moderate to severe AI and 47mm AA in 2010, AVR w/ Bentall Procedure on 11/7/2011 at Kaiser Permanente, Dr. Kwok Yun using On-X 27/29mm. Enjoy my wife and 3 kids, guitar, cycling, swimming, hiking, astronomy.

Comment

It does seem that ATS does have a good reputation for being a quieter one. Thanks again for all of the replies. Keep them coming

I finally got up the nerve to schedule my surgery - Oct 11th

Comment

My daughter has a Carbomedics 23mm valve and it varies in sound level. Sometimes we hear it sometimes we don't. We did put in a small aquarium with a pump in her room to help drowned out the sound of the valve for her at night. This is something her cardiologist suggested so my mom did it while she was still in the hospital. Overall the sound does not bother her.

Best wishes to you.

Comment

I am three weeks removed from Aortic Valve replacement and my aortic sinuses/root system (3 weeks today). I hear the clicking and it drives me nuts (St. Jude). I am 56 years old and after careful consideration and knowing I will be on Coumadin for the rest of my life, I could not bear the thought I may have to have my chest cracked open again in 10-15 years if I had gone with the cow or pig tissue. At my age it became the overriding factor and will learn to deal with the ticking
                          AndyR

Comment

I am three weeks removed from Aortic Valve replacement and my aortic sinuses/root system (3 weeks today). I hear the clicking and it drives me nuts (St. Jude). I am 56 years old and after careful consideration and knowing I will be on Coumadin for the rest of my life, I could not bear the thought I may have to have my chest cracked open again in 10-15 years if I had gone with the cow or pig tissue. At my age it became the overriding factor and will learn to deal with the ticking
                            AndyR

Comment

Originally posted by Otieboomie View Post
                              I am three weeks removed from Aortic Valve replacement and my aortic sinuses/root system (3 weeks today). I hear the clicking and it drives me nuts (St. Jude). g
                              Its early days yet. It should settle down in a few months. When you have more on your mind you notice it less.

Of course you can always choose to focus on it.

Did you read that study posted by old man emu?

Best wishes for a good recovery

Comment

I have a St. Jude's, had surgery in January 2013. It's often loud. But I can even feel my chest move from the beats of my heart. Ticking clocks and what not haven not normally bothered me, and I sleep with a fan on so, it doesn't stop me from sleeping. However, I kind of swear this valve has contributed to my tintinitis. I think I hear it ringing via the blood in my vessels.

Comment

Working...
                                X