My second time around AVR only lasted 2yrs

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Well since I joined the forum upon my despair of having to have another AVR (first May 6, 2011) Eduard's tissue valve) The developments have been; I failed the stress test only made it to 80% had to stop i felt faint. Both cardiologists and surgeon spoke on the phone yesterday in my presence and feel awful that I'm back in severe stenosis only this time my symptoms are so bad I can't make it up a flight of stairs, dizziness, lightheaded, swollen ankles and leg pain. They pulled me out of work. Tuesday morning I have a TEE in one last hope that they can prevent OHS. Cardiologist told me that on the onset they did see a slight artery covering the valve and they're going take a look that possibly they can coagulate and help me breathe. But it looks like the tissue valve isn't allowing enough blood to flow for me to breathe.

I must have cried the entire Amazon River. But yesterday I felt a spirit within that I'm in excellent hands of both my cardiologist and surgeon. Both confirm to replace with mechanical valve. Reading posts and accepting the interruption of Coumadin and blood work will involve but they said the valve wouldn't last another 3 months.

I am incredibly grateful for my employer, my health insurance, my caregivers and loved ones. Life has certainly taken on a whole new meaning for me. I did not take my heart disease seriously. Although its nothing I did wrong, I certainly appreciate my health and living.

I will know next week when the big event will take place once again. The only reason why I can type this is because I'm in complete acceptance.

Thank you for this forum and knowing I'm not alone.

Heartfelt gratitude
Genine

You will be just fine with a mechanical valve. Mine turned 7 weeks yesterday. Coumadin is really a
non issue that is overblown on this forum. The bigger issue at least for me has been the ticking of the mechanical
valve, and even that is not a huge issue. Also it seems to have quieted down a bit in the last few weeks.

All the best, have faith!

Genine, so sorry you have to go through all of this again. I am 4 1/2 weeks post op. I have had no problems with my On-x valve and chose the mechanical valve just for the reason you are having to go through all of this again. No problems with Coumadin. I agree with Sood. That is totally a non issue for me so far. I have had a high heart rate and the meds have had to be changed. Now seems new medicine is working. Now only working on getting more walking in a maybe a faster pace. I can not hear my valve. My husband can when he is about a foot away. I think it is funny that he can hear it and I can't. You have the strength within yourself to go through this again. We will all be here for you to encourage you, pray for you and wish you well. You have my thoughts and prayers. Kim

Genine, what a beautiful attitude, acceptance and faith in your medical team you have! This will no doubt carry you through the next step in your journey. You will have a huge fan club on here praying for you and cheering you on.

I had to go to the ER last week just two weeks after my AVR because of pain I was having. The ER physician ordered two CT scans of my heart, one with contrast and one without. One hour later he walked in my little cubicle and announced to me he had some bad news. He said my new valve was failing and it would have to be replaced immediately! I just let out a loud, "Oh my God!" He left my wife and I and said he had to confer with another radiologist about the scan. He came in 15 minutes later and said "they" had made a huge mistake and my new valve was functioning normally. I almost could not deal with that roller coaster of emotions.

You have a great attitude and you sound really well-equipped to deal with anything they toss at you, Genine. You go girl!!!

My cup runneth over with all your support, wisdom and experience. Thank you, Sood, Kim, Canon, and Agian. Just when the scar was becoming bearable in the mirror and seemed to almost disappear. For a woman this area is the most sensual and beautiful area to expose. I've been hiding it for 2 years. Now I embrace it. And having a ticker will remind me that I choose life. My cardiologist shared with me 6 months ago that 3 patients died of aortic stenosis in 1 year because they weren't courageous enough to have OHS. Not us! Guess God has a plan for me and I accept this heart disease as part of that plan.

It will be so much easier to face what lies ahead, weeks of muscle pain, sore breasts, a new scar, hearing a ticker, Coumadin, and life long blood work, knowing I'm not the only one this happens to. And with more strength and a will to live than ever before. I'm starting to dream big and love and accept myself. Without that its impossible to love others. I'm falling in love even more with my domestic partner who is my true soulmate and has stood by my side.

I look forward to Autumn that's all I think about.

Thank you all.

So sorry to hear of a redo. No one wants that.

My heartfelt sympathy and best wishes. I know that nothing I say will make it easier, or that knowing how you feel make your burden lighter.

None the less I wanted to say it.

Cry as you need, I know it seems to release something, and I hope there is someone to cry with.

Back