Are all of you men with mechanical valves using electric razors?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canon4me

If so, what brand/model have you found does the best job?

Or do some o you still use a blade razor w/shaving cream?

Still use a blade for shaving. Get a nick once in a while...but it has never caused any bleeding issues. Actually...have never had any bleeding issues in the 10+ years I've been on warfarin. It is pretty much a non-issue for me.

A electric razor doesn't get it close enough for me. I use a disposable blade as I've always done. Never found a difference because of warfarin. If and when I catch a nick, the result is the same as in the past. The bleeding to death theory comes from people with no hands on experience, The only thing that has changed for me is that I have to get some water and swallow a pill once a day, that's it, everything else is the same as before. Surely continue to use what you have in the past, but try not to shake with fear too much, or you will have more paper applied spots than usual, lol. It's all good.

Yeah that is a myth about needing to switch to an electric shaver. I don't have a mechanical valve but I was on Coumadin for several months for a-fib. I remember the nurse telling me I needed to switch to an electric shaver. I asked her if I would bleed to death if I cut myself shaving (I was being sarcastic) and she said "you might". I don't know if she was serious or being sarcastic back to me but I had a good laugh over it. I kept using a blade and nicked myself a couple of times while on Coumadin but couldn't tell any difference from not being on Coumadin.

Or do some o you still use a blade razor w/shaving cream?

I shave from the end of the beard on my face down my neck. I only ever am able to do that with a blade (even when I used a electric for chin and cheeks).

I use a shick twin disposable which has a lubricated strip on the head. Shaving creams never worked for me so I use soap and water.

Technique matters more than technology.

I bleed no more than before I was on warfarin, so it has had zero impact there either.

Bryan B, did you contract the Afibs aftersurgery? I was discharged on Coumadin with a tissue valve because of developing Afibs right after surgery. They told me my heart was acting like a little kid, trying to adjust to its current state. I have no idea how long they will last, but the more I read posts from different people on here, the more common it seems unfortunately.

canon - For all but the most serious cases, afib is temporary. Mine was. I had a few bouts of afib during the first month post-op, but haven't had any since. (I would know of any, too, because my pacemaker would record it if it happened.) That sort of behavior is very common.

I don't have a mech valve, but I changed to an electric shaver after my surgery because it was easier for me to stand up and shave if I could have one hand partially free to hold onto things to balance myself. When I used a blade razor, I needed my other hand to deal with the shaving cream and such. Also, I got a bit lazy. The electric is faster. If I'm going out in the evening, I just shave a second time. The only drawback is in the summer humidity the electric shaver drags on the skin and if you're not careful you can get "shaver-burn."

Sorry I missed your post canon. My a-fib problems came up the summer before my last surgery. I had a catheter ablation done and I have been a-fib free since then.

Latest posts

Back